Friday, August 29, 2014

Mayday

I froze in my seat and assessed the situation before reacting. Ash was sitting across from me and to the right, her back facing where the waitress was currently sitting Steve. I glanced, panicked, to Dylan who was staring at me like I had two heads. 

"What?" he mouthed to me. My eyes darted to Ash, who was thankfully engaged in some sort of eye-sex situation with Ted. Knowing Dylan wouldn't even recognize Steve if I pointed him out, I slowly reached into my purse for my phone and sent him a text, gesturing for him to check his phone.

Steve just walked in, fiancée in tow. 

I hit send just in time to see our waitress stride over to the table. I kept my eyes fixed on her, not daring to see if Steve had spotted us. 

"Can I get you guys another round?" she asked cheerfully, and I was painfully jealous of her ignorance to the situation. 

"Yes, great!" I said a little too enthusiastically, desperate to send her away before Steve could notice us. I felt my phone vibrate in my lap and looked down.

Oh man, should we leave? 

I typed quickly back.

No, then he would definitely see us. I don't think he'll come over, but I just need to make sure Ashley doesn't see him. Or more importantly, the tiny model-looking human he has with him. 

I tucked my phone away as our second round of drinks materialized on the table. The key to any awkward situation = more vodka. 

Twenty minutes and about 76 awkward glances towards Steve's table later, I had deduced that Steve had not realized we were there. He appeared to be sickeningly in love with this girl, doing nothing but holding her hand and gazing into her eyes. It was like they were filming b-roll for a Nicholas Sparks movie. 

"Dani?" I heard Ash ask, interrupting my thoughts on how to get our group out of here before Steve could notice us. I was presently wondering if there was some sort of underground railroad system with an access point directly under our table. 

"Yeah?" 

"I asked if you want to go to the bathroom," Ash repeated. I glanced around trying to determine if the route to the bathroom would involve passing Steve. 

"Um.. sure," I said, standing and looking at Dylan. He gave me a sympathetic look and shrugged his shoulders. 

Most useless boyfriend ever.

As Ash and I started to the bathroom, I positioned myself on her left side and started chatting away about work, hoping she'd turn to face me, looking away from Steve. We managed to get to the bathroom without incident. 

"So what do you think about Tim?" Ash asked, once we were safely inside.

Gee, Ash, I've been too concerned about your ex and his fiancée to even assess the guy you brought here.  

"He seems really great!" I answered instead. "Very talkative and definitely likes you."

Ash nodded in agreement as she touched up her lip stain in the mirror. "I really think I like him, but it sucks that he spends four days a week down in DC."

"Yeah but at least he's here every weekend," I replied, wordlessly accepting the lip stain from her. "Plus you just met like, 12 hours ago. Give it a chance to start before you point out the flaws."

We headed out of the bathroom and I resumed my 007 moves of keeping her head turned towards me. We were nearly at the table and I was giving myself a silent fist pump when I felt Ashley stop dead in her tracks. I turned back, knowing what she'd seen before I even had to follow her gaze.

"Ash..." I said, returning to her side and placing my hand on her forearm. 

I saw her eyes well up with tears and she quickly turned her head straight and strode back to the table. I followed, stealing one last glance at Steve. This time I was sure that he had seen us. 

"Hey gals," Elena greeted us as we sat down. She shot me a confused look after taking in Ashley's expression.

"Steve's here," Ashley blurted out, reaching for her drink and downing it in one gulp. She raised her hand for the waitress to order another. 

"Who is Steve?" Ted asked, looking between the four of us. 

"Just my engaged ex boyfriend," Ashley said as the waitress approached. "Can I have another? And, a round of tequila shots?" 

"Ash.." I started, but she gave me a look and I shut my mouth. 

An awkward silence fell over the table and I took out my phone in order to have something to do with my hands. I wasn't surprised to see a text from Steve waiting on my screen.

Well, this is weird. Should I come say hi? 

I bit my lip and casually handed the phone to Ashley, not wanting the whole table involved in the decision. 

She read the text quickly and shoved the phone back in my direction. "Fine." 

I guess. 

I tucked the phone away and watched as Steve read it from across the room. He glanced over at me and I gave him a small smile. 

If we just declare this the most awkward night ever, can we all go to sleep now? 

Our shots arrived at the same moment Steve showed up at the table, nameless fiancée folling behind him. 

"Hey guys," he said, greeting us with an awkward wave. 

"Hey Steve!" I said trying to overcompensate for Ashley's animosity. 

"Steve," Ashley said, raising a shot and downing it. 

I wanted to melt into the fucking floor. 

"Um, this is Adriana," he said, stepping aside and presenting the future Mrs. Steve to us. 

"It's great to meet you," I said giving her the warmest smile I could muster. I was officially the only one speaking at the table. 

"Well, I'll let you guys get back to your evening," Steve said, shoving his hands in his pockets. "Great seeing you, Ashley." 

She raised her eyebrows in response but didn't look up. 

After he left, Dylan tried to regain a normal atmosphere by telling a funny story about his 'little brother', but it was clear that the evening was unsalvageable. 

"I'm pretty beat," I said, faking a yawn once Dylan had finished. 

"Me too," Ash answered quickly. 

"I've got the bill," Ted said, standing up to find the waitress. 

"That was nice of him," I offered to Ash, as soon as Ted had disappeared. 

"I just want to go home," she answered, shredding her cocktail napkin into long pieces. 

Once Ted had paid the bill (maybe I should start referring to him as Tim since he's been so great all evening?), the five of us parted ways, Tim and Elena heading uptown and Dylan, Ash and I walking back to our place.

"You okay?" I asked Ashley, linking my arm with hers as we navigated the cobblestone in heels. 

She shook her head no, but didn't offer anything further. But it was clear that the meltdown I had been on edge for all week was about to begin.

**Enjoy your Labor Day weekend! Hope everyone has something fun planned... See you Wednesday!**


8 comments:

  1. I love your blog but hate this current storyline. Ashley didn't want Steve. She chose to cheat on him time and time again. Now she's freaking out and upset that he's moved on. Grow up. Personally I have zero sympathy for her. I hope Steve and his fiancé get married and live happily ever after without Ashley or Dani interfering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Ashley deserves this!!

      Delete
  2. I agree that Ash needs to grow up. I can see being startled and a little hurt that he got engaged so fast, but not being the drama queen she is about it. I think Dani is handling everything well though, she's been nothing but nice to Steve and has treated him with respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually feel the same way about this whole thing. I love your blog :)

      Delete
  3. I feel for Ashley. Even when you don't want someone, it's hard to watch them with someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have even an ounce of sympathy for Ashley. She had Steve, he loved her but that wasn't good enough for her. She chose to cheat on him multiple times. It's not like Steve dumped her and moved on and got engaged. She DIDN'T want him. She has no right to flip out over Steve moving on because all this is her doing. I agree with the others, she needs to grow up. I can't stand girls like Ashley. Also she was with Ted, it's not like she's been sitting home crying over Steve. I'm over this storyline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Ashley!! But man that was awkward

    ReplyDelete