Saturday, April 26, 2014

Three's Company

**Bonus post, hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!** 

On Saturday Bray picked me up at 8:00 and we grabbed dinner before heading to Nick’s. In the spirit of honesty I told him that it was my ex-boyfriend hosting the party, but that I was really going to show support for my best friend, Trevor (PSA: Trevor and I barely talk). Ashley was meeting us there after dinner. I was excited for Ash and Bray to meet, especially because you really can’t form an opinion on a guy you’re seeing until your friends meet him, am I right? 

God that sounded straight out of Mean Girls. I digress. 

It took Bray and I forever to catch a cab after dinner. The pouring rain meant everyone in Manhattan was vying for one. When we finally succeeded, I gave the driver the address that I have said in taxis a hundred times, but haven’t uttered out loud in months. As he started downtown, I pulled out my phone to text Ash.

Hey we’re headed to Nick's now. What’s your ETA?

I turned my attention to Bray. “Thanks for coming with me,” I said. 

“I’m sure you’ll make it up to me later,” he grinned. I rolled my eyes, but smiled back at him before turning my attention to my vibrating phone.

Here now, see you soon! 

I felt a little guilty that Bray and I were running late, but from all my years of dating Nick, Ash had become pretty close with a lot of his friends. I figured she would survive the next five minutes until we got there. 

“I’m so full,” I said leaning back and resting my hand on my stomach. We had split a pizza and two bottles of wine at an adorable Italian place near my apartment that I had always seen but never had the chance to try until now. 

“Really? I’m still hungry,” Bray said, and I knew he wasn’t joking. Homeboy ate a ton. Just then, he reached his hand across the empty space next to us and rested it on my bare thigh, moving it upwards ever so slightly. I raised my eyebrows at him, but didn’t move his hand away. 

He slid across the seat, closing the distance that had been between us. His closeness made my heartbeat quicken. He leaned down and kissed me softly, while his hand kept moving up, up.. until I gasped. I felt him smile at the sound. For the next few minutes, I completely forgot we were in a cab until the car jerked to a halt. 

“We’re here,” the driver grumbled, clearly frustrated with the scene in the back of his cab. Bray paid for the ride and we exited into the chilly night. 

My legs took me straight to the building’s front door without even having to think about it. We walked up to Nick’s floor and followed the noise to his apartment. Taking a deep breath, I pushed it open with Bray right behind me. I scanned the packed room for Ashley, and saw her by the window talking to a guy I didn’t recognize. I couldn’t help the immediate defensiveness I felt for Steve, seeing her talking to another guy. After everything that went down it was hard for me not to think that. I turned around and gestured for Bray to follow me. A few familiar faces dotted the crowd, but so far no sign of Nick.  

“Ash!” I yelled when we were closer. 

“Hey, come here!” she shouted back, waving us over. 

“Hey, sorry we’re late,” I apologized. 

“No problem, I pretty much just got here. Bray I assume?” she smiled up at him, extending her hand. I always felt so old when two people my age shook hands. 

"In the flesh,” he replied. “I’m going to go grab a beer real quick, either of you want anything?” 

“I’ll take one too, thanks,” I said. Once he was out of earshot, I turned back to Ashley. “Well?” I asked impatiently.

“Gorgeous,” she said. “Seriously, I’m jealous.” 

I narrowed my eyes at her, so soon after the Steve fiasco was no time to be joking. “Who was that guy you were talking to when we got here? I didn’t recognize him.”

“No clue, his name was Rich, says he works with Trevor,” she replied nonchalantly. “No sign of Nick yet, by the way.” 

I scanned the room again, and my heart stopped when I noticed Bray by the beer talking to... Nick. I grabbed Ashley's arm.

"Ouch!" she cried out. "What the heck is tha-" she stopped mid-sentence, following my gaze. "Well, that's probably awkward." 

"What do you think they're saying? Should I go over there?"

"Definitely not," she replied. "That would probably increase the uncomfortable-ness tenfold. Plus, maybe they won't even find the connection." 

As soon as the words left her mouth, both guys simultaneously looked in our direction. Clearly, they found the connection. 

"Oh my god they're coming over here," I squeaked. 

"Chill out," Ashley said. "It's not like you weren't prepared for this." 

"Yeah but in my head I wasn't sweating profusely."

Ash didn't have time to reassure me further, because at that moment both guys appeared in front of us. 

"Hey, D" Nick said, leaning in for the worlds most awkward hug. Which was then followed by the worlds most awkward silence

I coughed, "Uhm, so, you two have met? Bray, Nick, Nick, Bray?"

Both men laughed uncomfortably. "We've met, ya nut," Bray answered, pulling me into him. 

"I should go check on Trevor.." Nick mumbled before dashing off. Once he was gone, I let out the breath I didn't even realize I had been holding. 

"So, that's the ex?" Bray teased.

"Yes," I replied. Bray handed me my beer, which I chugged in record time. If I was going to survive the rest of this party, I needed some serious liquid courage.

After the chorus of tone-deaf drunks singing Happy Birthday to Trevor at midnight, I decided to call it a night. We made the rounds, saying our goodbyes and I noticed that Nick had been MIA ever since our awkward encounter.

When we were safely outside the apartment, I turned to Bray and gave him a well-deserved kiss. "Thanks," I said. 

"It was fun," he replied, pulling me in for another kiss. 

I waited on the sidewalk as Bray attempted to hail a cab in the light drizzle that was falling. I pulled out my phone, and was unsurprised to find a text from Nick from an hour ago.

Nice new boyfriend. 

I stared at it, knowing full well I shouldn't reply. 

He's not my boyfriend.

"Danielle!" I looked up at Bray, standing next to the cab. "Let's go!"

I hit send and then followed Bray into the cab.

4 comments:

  1. I like this post.. Thanks for the bonus!! Can't wait to see what happens next

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bray was nice to go along. Nick behaved well. Let's see if it has the desired results.., and interested in the remainder of the date w Bray!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh will Nick ever disappear? I'm defintiely team Bray! Keep up the great writing, thanks for the bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay.. I just found this blog and spent all morning catching up haha but i LOVE it!
    Can't wait to see what happens next!

    ReplyDelete