Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Stalemate

It was harder than usual to see Spence off on Sunday afternoon. Aside from the Ashley and Steve drama, we had spent a great weekend catching up and laughing nonstop. I stood by the escalators in Penn Station, waving as Spence strolled towards her track. My eyes stayed fixed on the back of her shiny hair until the crowd swallowed her up, and I couldn't differentiate between where one person ended and another began.

I sighed, turning around and heading out of the crowded station. The warm air from the afternoon was still clinging to the city, so I decided to walk home instead of heading back underground. There is absolutely nothing better than walking in New York, people watching and enjoying the city as it sheds its winter skin. By the time I got home, I had almost forgotten about Ashley and Steve. I looked at my phone, it was 6pm and I still hadn’t heard a word from her. 

Did you talk to Steve? 

I hit send and left my phone face up on the coffee table, eager for her response. 

Two episodes of Friends and half a bag of popcorn later, Ashley still hadn’t replied. I didn’t want to seem like I was butting into her relationship, so I made the executive decision not to send her another text until the morning. I settled in to continue my marathon of season 7 when my phone’s ring interrupted one of Chandlers one-liners. I had already started to slide the green bar to answer, assuming it was Ash, when I realized it was actually Bray. I panicked for a few seconds, completely caught off guard. 

“Hey!” I said, coughing a little to clear my throat. Sexy.

“Hey babe,” he replied. Babe? That’s soon, but I’ll take it.

“How are you?” I asked, we had only ever texted before so this whole real-life phone conversation thing was new territory. 

“I’m good, just recovering from a bachelor party this weekend, we were down in AC and it got a little out of control,” he said laughing.

“Oh I know how those weekends can be,” I replied. 

“Anyway, I just wanted to see how you were, and what your week looked like. I’d love to have dinner if you’re free…” he trailed

I did a mental review of my week, I had zero plans that I could recall, and then I was going to Penn State on Friday for the Blue & White weekend. I decided to try and sound a little busy though, because, you know, I get all of my dating advice from romcoms. 

“I think I’m free Tuesday,” I said trying to sound noncommittal. 

“Great, why don’t you come to my place and I’ll cook?” he offered. I was definitely eager to see his place, and if his shirt happened to be removed while I was there, well that would just be collateral damage. 

“Sure, sounds great. Just text me the address and time,” I said trying to suppress the excitement in my voice. I hadn’t had a boy cook for me in forever, and I was a total sucker for a man who knew his way around the kitchen. We said our goodbyes and I hung up feeling giddy. Nick and I hadn’t spoken in days, and I now had a third date with Bray. Things were definitely headed in the right direction. 


On Monday morning, I woke up before my alarm and played my morning ritual of 'find the iphone in the sheets'. Seriously, does everyone else have this problem? When I finally located it wedged between the wall and my mattress, I was dismayed to see no new messages. Still no word from Ashley. I frowned, this was definitely not good. I sat up in bed and dialed her number. After a few rings, I heard her familiar voice telling me she could not get to the phone right now. I knew she went into work a solid hour before I did, so she was most definitely awake. I shot her another text.

Come on Ash, talk to me. Please. Want to meet for lunch today? 

I tossed my phone into my tangled mess of a bed, and began getting ready for the day. As I was jetting out the door to work forty minutes later, half-eaten banana in hand, I grabbed the discarded phone. I was relieved to see my best friend had finally decided to come out of hiding. 

Hey, sorry didn’t see my phone last night. But crazy busy at work today, raincheck? 

Frustrated, I shoved my phone into my bag and jogged out the door. I was already running late for work, and had no time to deal with Ashley’s annoying avoidance of talking about the Steve situation right now.

2 comments:

  1. Ah! Can't wait for Dani's date with Bray. I have to say, I'm definitately more team Bray then team Nick. Nick just seems like he is going to break her heart.

    Can't wait to see what happens with Ashley and Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm team Bray, too. I like new characters, New personalities!

    ReplyDelete