Friday, April 4, 2014

Approve Friend Request

The work week dragged on with no word from Blast. I was holding out on sending a follow-up email until early next week, but I leaped ten feet in the air every time I had a new message in my Gmail. Which, having subscribed to about forty online shopping outlets, was roughly every fifteen minutes. 

On Wednesday, Elena and I snuck out after the staff meeting to grab lunch at our favorite deli. 

“I feel like we haven’t talked in forever, how is everything!” Elena asked, unwrapping her tuna salad sandwich. 

“I know,” I replied stabbing my salad with a fork. I was sticking to my pre-summer diet and not enjoying it one bit. I sighed “So… I slept with Nick. Again.” I kept my eyes fixed on my suddenly extremely interesting salad.

She stopped mid chew. “Daniiiiiiiiiii,” she trailed.

“I know! I know. Someone really needs to put me on a leash,” I replied. Even though I really didn’t feel as guilty about it as I should. 

“When did this happen? At that party?” she asked, her gazed fixed on me. 

“Yeah, Friday night. And then..uh.. Saturday morning…” I said sheepishly.

Elena tossed a balled up napkin in my direction. “Keep your pants on!” she joked. 

I laughed “I’m working on it! He’s texted me twice since Saturday and I have effectively ignored him. So there’s that,” I said somewhat proudly. Maybe if I ignored him long enough it would make up for my severe lack in judgment. 

“What about Bray?” she asked. I felt like I was being interrogated here, even though these are normal things friends discuss. I just felt like the world was judging me for juggling two men.

“We went out last week, and I’ve only talked to him a few times since. He hasn’t tried to make any plans or anything,” I replied. “But.. he did friend me on facebook.” I said smiling. I reached for my phone and pulled up his page, handing the iPhone to Elena for her approval.

She put her wrap down and began scrolling, nodding as she did so. “Bray Davis, great name.” she began. “Tasteful photo, I don’t see any selfies so that’s a plus. Who is this rando who has written on his wall twice this week? Chelsea?” 

I snatched the phone back from her and looked at the posts in question. 

Saturday, March 29 
Chelsea Gregory > Bray Davis: Had a great time last night! Maybe be less clumsy next time :) 

Tuesday, April 1 
Chelsea Gregory > Bray Davis: Your so naughty!! 

I looked up at Elena, shrugging. “Who knows, but it’s not like he’s my boyfriend,” I said pointedly, while also taking silent satisfaction in her misuse of the form of your. 

“No, but he clearly took her out the night after he took you out!” 

I looked up at her, frowning. She was right. But I was in no position to be jealous. It was nice, however, to have a friend so willing to blindly stand up for me. “Yeah, but I slept with someone else two nights after. Plus, we’ve been on two dates. I can’t ask him or else I’ll look like a psycho.” 

Elena could tell she wasn’t going to win this one. “Fine, but be careful.” 

“I will, mom,” I joked, smiling across at her. “Now, tell me about your love life.”

We spent the rest of lunch dissecting the last conversation Elena had with a guy she’s been seeing, Ryne. (Pronounced Ryan, although I hereby promise to always pronounce it Rine when not in his presence.) I hadn’t met him yet, but as far as I could tell he kind of seemed like a prick. He spent their first date texting his 'sister', and has only texted her late at night since. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt though because I was dying for Elena to find someone she really liked.

It was 7:30 by the time I was wrapping up my last email. I had spent the afternoon fielding media calls on a press release I’d sent out that morning about the retirement of one of our senior editors. As a reward for all of my hard work, I decided to allow myself one massive slice of buffalo chicken pizza on my way home. 

The weather was holding steady in the low 60s, which was doing some serious enhancement to the overall mood of the New York population. I walked a few blocks uptown out of my usual path to swing by my favorite pizza place. It was a tiny hole in the wall that I had discovered drunk one night, and had to go back two days later to see if the pizza was that good or if drunk me had just been so ravenous that anything would have tasted amazing. Turns out, it was just that good

I had purchased my oversize slice of buffalo chicken pizza and was heading back to my apartment prepared to enjoy this cheat meal with gusto, when I spotted Ashley on the corner. What was she doing up this way? I crossed the street and tapped her on the shoulder, she spun around and her eyes grew huge as if she’d just been caught.

“What are you doing all the way up here Ash?” I said.

“Uh.. I.. just heard about this adorable jewelry store from someone at work, and I can’t seem to find it..” she started typing furiously into her phone. 

“Oh…” I said, suspiciously. “Well where is it? Want some help?” I offered, this was so fucking weird.

“No! I think ya know it’s getting late and I should just get back. Steve will be waiting for me for dinner and you know, so yeah I’ll text you tomorrow okay? Are we still on for dinner Friday?” she started walking away.

“Yeah..” I said after her retreating back, wtf?? Something was up. And I was going to figure it out except right now, I had a date with pizza. Figuring out what my weirdo best friend was up to would have to wait until after I had ingested all of these carbs. 

2 comments:

  1. Ten bucks says she was waiting for James!
    Great blog, hopefully a bonus post this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bonus post tomorrow! I may change my posting to Weds/Fri and every other Saturday, we'll see :)

      Have a great weekend! xoxo

      Delete