Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The Morning After

Saturday morning, I woke up to the soft sound of rain on the window. I rolled over, my hangover hitting me all at once and blindly reached in the direction of my bedside table for my phone. Instead, my hand landed on the warm flesh of a man’s chest. I shot up in bed, realizing it was not my bed at all… but Nick’s. 

He was still sleeping soundly, his blonde hair sticking up in places in a way I used to find endearing. His chest was rising and falling rhythmically and I was so tempted to snuggle up next to him the way my body has done thousands of times. I racked my brain, trying to remember the night before. The last thing I could recall clearly was dancing with Nick, and then the cab ride and then.. darkness. Great, not only did I most likely drunkenly sleep with my ex, I don’t even remember doing it. Mortified didn’t even begin to cover it. I saw my bag discarded on the floor next to my underwear and slowlllllly slipped out of the bed to retrieve both. I checked my phone, finding zero messages awaiting me. Ash had never texted me back last night. Maybe she just went home early and passed out, I reasoned. Even though a bigger part of me had a feeling she was in James’ bed. 

I was starting to gather the rest of my clothes when I saw Nick waking up out of the corner of my eye. 

“Goodmorning beautiful,” he said sleepily to me. 

“Morning..” I said hunting around for my other heel. This was going to be the worst walk of shame. 

“Get over here,” he said extending his arms out towards me. I ignored his efforts and lifted up his abandoned shirt to see if said shoe had taken refuge under there. Nope.

I could hear the bed springs shifting to accommodate his weight as he leaned towards the end of the bed. Suddenly his arms were around my waist, dragging me back into the bed. He pulled me in towards his chest and his body enveloped mine completely. I could feel how hard he was on the back of my thigh. He shifted his weight into me and without even thinking, I did the same. His hand moved up my bare stomach and onto my breast, squeezing firmly and rolling his fingers around my nipple. His other arm slipped between my side and the mattress, and down the front of my thong. I gasped, and at the sound I could feel him get even harder. 

He pushed aside my underwear and into me. I leaned forward, bending at the waist as his hands held my hips while he thrust harder. I came almost instantly. 

When we finished, he kissed me softly on the lips. “Why did we even break up?” he asked almost jokingly.

I stayed silent. My body was exhausted and hungover and I wanted nothing more than to stay here all day in a sleep and sex coma, but I knew I had to get home. I swung my legs over the side of his bed and started to get dressed. He watched me silently as I gathered my things. As I reached for the door handle, I forced myself not to turn around. I heard him call my name as the door shut behind me.

Later that afternoon, I was laying on my couch incessantly refreshing my email for any word from Blast when Ashley finally called me back. I answered after half of a ring.

“Where ARE you?!” I demanded, sitting upright on the couch. There was a solid five-second pause before she answered.

“I’m home,” she replied.

“It’s three o’clock! I’ve been texting you all day,” I said back accusingly. 

I heard her groan on the other end before answering. “I slept at his place, but nothing happened. I swear. We kissed and I fell asleep in his bed, fully clothed, and he was next to me when I woke up, also fully clothed.”

I sighed. I wanted to believe her. “Okay,” I said back after a few seconds. “I was just worried.”

“I know,” she replied. “I’m sorry. I came back home this morning and spent the rest of the afternoon sleeping," I could hear relief in her voice that I wasn't pressing further. "What about you?” 

“What about me, what?” I asked, even though I knew exactly what she meant. 

“Danielle Rachel Fitzgerald you know exactly what,” she said firmly. “Where did you sleep?” 

I sighed audibly. “Nicks.” 

“Knew it!” she said back almost triumphantly. 

“Excuse me woman but I wanted you to come along precisely so I wouldn’t sleep at Nicks!” 

“Oh please,” she teased “Nothing short of all-you-can-eat Chick-fil-a could have stopped you from going home with him.” 

I held back my laugh, but she was right. “Want to come over tonight and binge eat pizza? ABC Family is having a Harry Potter marathon…” 

“Sold!” she replied without hesitation. “I’ll bring the wine.”

I hung up feeling relieved that Ash hadn't slept with James. I still felt bad for Steve, because it's not like making out was nothing. But it was her relationship to do with what she wanted.

I heaved myself off of the couch to shower. I'd sat around smelling like Nick for long enough today.

4 comments:

  1. Loving this blog more with every post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting!! Not that I am surprised!! So, what is she going to do?? Keep nick around or catch up to Bray!!
    Ash sounds to be in a mess & staying fully clothed isn't totally innocent. She has some issues she sounds like that need to be resolved.
    Excited for the next post!!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick seems so cocky but I'm a sucker for history between couples! Bray comes across as nice, maybe a little vanilla. Maybe she should give Nick another chance.

    ReplyDelete