Friday, May 9, 2014

S.O.S.

On Monday morning I woke up before my alarm, which is a rarity. I stared at the ceiling for a few minutes before realizing there was no way I was going to fall back asleep, so instead I padded into the kitchen for breakfast. During the short walk to my kitchen I had decided that I would make a delicious power smoothie to help me get through what was already promising to be a dramatic day. I opened my fridge, already proud of how domestic it would be to make my own power-packed green drink. 

By the time I was ready for work, I had finished the unappetizing but I'm sure extremely healthy mixture of apples, spinach, carrots and possibly expired yogurt. And I was still hungry. How do people successfully do these juice cleanses without killing off other humans out of starvation? I'd gladly trade the hope of a thigh gap in for a bagel any day.

As I headed out the door to work, (twenty minutes early, #BestEmployeeEver) I texted Elena. 

Heading to work now, offer still stands if you wanna meet! 

Before she had left last night I offered about five times to meet at her place and walk over so that she wouldn't have to get to work by herself, risking the horrifying chance of being alone with Jeff. But she turned me, down saying that she would relish in being alone with him. Presumably so no one could pin her to the crime when they found his body.

Thanks but I'm already here, picked up coffee for you

I looked at my screen, 7:15? She must have been up at 5 a.m. 

YOU'RE BEING SO CASUAL. Is he there?!?

I quickened my pace to the office, scenarios of Elena using Jeff as a punching bag dancing in my head. As I crossed over 56th, my phone vibrated again. 

Nope. 

I breathed a sigh of relief, but continued at a break-neck speed. 

When I was finally at work, I practically sprinted to Elena's desk. A quick scan of the room assured me that Jeff was not there yet. 

"Hey," I greeted Elena, who was rocking an inappropriately short dress paired with inappropriately high heels. "You look like it's 9 p.m., but in a good way." 

"Is it too obvious?" she asked, crinkling her nose. 

"Yes, but only to those privy to the ordeal," I said, accepting the coffee she handed me. "Thanks."

"I'm going to be fine Dani," she said laughing. "A good nights sleep has completely changed my perspective. Really, it's better that this happened now. Otherwise I would have been picking out our wedding colors before I found him screwing the florist."

"I am glad you feel that way," I said. "Because he just stepped out of the elevator." Jeff kept his eyes on us while walking across the office to his desk. I quickly stood up and skirted over to my own desk, careful not to spill the steaming coffee. "Goodluck," I hissed at her. 

I pretended to be immersed in starting up my computer and checking emails, all the while sitting on the edge of my seat watching Elena and Jeff's every move. Elena had her eyes glued to her computer, while Jeff was squirming in his seat and stealing glances at her roughly every three minutes. 

Two full hours went by with zero interactions between the two, so I finally gave up and focused on my work. I was busy pulling social media stats for the week when I saw Jeff get up and walk over to Elena's desk. Sitting up a little straighter, I craned my neck to get a better view. 

Jeff stood next to her desk for a solid ten seconds without her looking up or acknowledging him in any way. Finally, I saw her slowly tilt her head in his direction, but I couldn't hear what she said. They spoke in hushed voices for a minute before Jeff retreated to his desk looking defeated. It took everything in me not to rush over to Elena to get the details. 

My phone vibrated on my desk and I snatched it up instantly assuming it was her. 

Sooo how much time is enough time to allow you to think before asking you to dinner? 

I rolled my eyes, this was classic Nick. Trying to lighten the situation and charm me back into his bed. 

I don't think that there's a set time frame for this type of thing, but i'm going to bet it's probably not less than 24 hours..  

I pulled up a text to Elena next. 

Early lunch? 

It was only 11, but I couldn't imagine waiting until 1 o'clock to find out what happened. 

Give me an hour, got to finish this copy. 

I sighed impatiently and then threw myself into my work to pass the time. An hour and a half later, Elena casually sauntered over to my desk. "Want to grab lunch?" she asked, as if we hadn't already planned it.

"Um.. yes," I replied gathering my things. We walked in silence over to the elevators together. Much to my dismay two others got in with us. By the time we were finally in the lobby I felt like I was about to burst. 

"What did he say?!" I asked impatiently.

She sighed before replying. "Honestly, nothing, at all." 

"What did he use sign language or something? I saw you two talk."

"Ha, no smart mouth. I mean he just mumbled and tried to apologize again. And said that he hopes this doesn't 'affect our friendship', or some cliche bullshit." 

"What did you say back?" I asked. 

"Nothing, I just told him to leave me alone," she said softly. 

"He is the worst. Like, 'here I murdered your feelings with a crossbow and probably scarred you from weddings for life, but let's be friends'? Bullshit," I said.

Thankfully, she laughed. "I'm over it, I just want to put it out of my head. Or else I'm going to need years of therapy from violently reacting anytime I see a couple getting married." 

I linked my arm through hers, "Well, you just need to make it through this week without killing him. Ash and I are going out Friday for a little girls night situation, and you're coming." 

"That sounds perfect," she answered. "How is Ash? I haven't seen her in awhile."

"Honestly, me neither. She's been spending every waking moment with her man. They don't even leave the house, it's like a second honeymoon period or something," I answered. It was true, I hadn't seen her in forever. It was like she was trying to compensate for the cheating fiasco by staying in with him every. single. night. 

"Well then we will go wild on Friday," Elena said, smiling. 

"Amen!" 

7 comments:

  1. Glad Elena seems to be doing ok considering the circumstances!! Yay!!
    Interesting info on Ash!
    Poor Nick. He needs to be a bit more patient. What will D end up saying??
    Can't wait to find out!!
    Thanks for the post!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Many things will be answered come Wednesday :)

      Delete
  2. Ugh Jeff sucks, i can't believe he thinks they can be friends after that!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the posts just wish they were a bit longer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I am so glad to be able to catch up I can't wait to see how this goes and what Danielle does with Nick lol..love the blog can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just discovered this blog and it is downright amazing! Sorry for commenting in a random place, but I just had to say something. :P

    ReplyDelete