Friday, May 30, 2014

MDW Aftermath

The rest of #MDW passed without any excitement. Ash and I spent the days eating at usually-packed restaurants and taking advantage of the sunny weather by laying out on my roof. It was relaxing and Nick-free, exactly what I needed. After we left the club on Friday he had texted me to apologize. I hadn't responded, even though what he said was kind of correct. But I wasn't about to admit that to him. 

"It's so nice to have a tan again," I said to Ash, as I applied my makeup on Tuesday morning. 

She nodded in response. "I feel ya, now maybe people will think I did something incredibly exciting this weekend. Like Miami or Barbados."

We were quiet for a few minutes as we both finished our makeup for work. As much as I loved having Ash around, it had been a week now without her making so much as a mention of a game plan. I was hesitant to bring it up, because I didn't want her to think she was no longer welcome to stay with me. 

"So, look. I'm just saying this because you're my best friend. Not because I want you to leave, because I definitely don't," I began. Ash put down her mascara and gave me a worried look, but I continued. "But you need to start thinking realistically. I know you want Steve to call but I think you need to man up and take the reins on this one. I mean you guys have a lease together, and a dog, and a life. If it's going to end, it can't be like this." 

Ash remained quiet, picking at the hem on her shirt and avoiding any eye contact with me. After a long minute of silence, she finally spoke. "I know."

I walked across the room and retrieved her phone from where it was charging on the floor. "Text him," I said, shoving it in her direction. "Ask him to dinner or something, before you chicken out." 

She reluctantly took the phone from my hands and let her fingers hover over the keyboard. I gave her 30 seconds before taking matters into my own hands - no pun intended.

I pulled up Steve's name on her phone and, since she didn't appear to be stopping me, sent him a text.

Hey.. can you meet for dinner tonight? 

I put the phone back in her lap and started to gather my stuff for work. 

"When he responds, please don't chicken out," I said softly, giving her a half-hug. 

"If he responds," she said moodily. 

"He will," I replied. "Have a good day." I scooted out the door, mentally crossing my fingers that he would, in fact, respond. 


When I got to work, Elena was already at her desk looking tanned and fabulous after the long weekend. "Hey!" I said cheerfully, plopping down on the edge of her desk. Most of the office was still deserted. 

"Hey you!" she replied, swiveling her chair to face me. 

"How was Nantucket?" I asked. Elena had spent the weekend at a friend's up in Nantucket. A surprising amount of people got shore houses there, which I found entirely too far a hike for a weekend trip. 

"Um, eventful," she said. Just then, Jeff walked in and instead of keeping his head down and bee-lining for his desk like he had been doing since the wedding fiasco, he started confidently in our direction.

I furrowed my brow at him and hissed to Elena, "What the heck?" 

Elena very pointedly fixed her gaze on her computer screen. I looked back and forth between the two, confused beyond belief. 

"Hey," he greeted us lightly, as he had done most mornings prior to us exiling him from the group.

I narrowed my eyes at him, "Um..hi." 

He looked confused at my animosity, "Elena didn't.. tell you?" 

I looked pointedly at Elena, "Tell me what?" 

"I'll leave you two to it then," he said with a cough and scurried away. 

I raised my eyebrows at Elena, who was still looking directly at her computer screen. "Lunch," she said, typing away furiously at what appeared to be a blank word document. 

"I can't today," I replied. "I have that content meeting at one. Just get on gchat." With that, I scurried over to my desk and pulled up gmail.

Elena: Okay so.. Jeff was in Nantucket this weekend too. 
Me: I gathered as much. 
Elena: Well we ran into each other on Friday and I was drunk so we kind of hashed it out. I yelled for a little then I don't know.. I just forgave him. Or whatever. I just can't hold a grudge forever. 
Me: You totally boned him.
Elena: NO! 
Me: Did you see him any more after Friday??
Elena: Yes.
Me: So you boned him.
Elena: No.
Me: You kissed him.
Elena: Possibly.
Me: OMG. So are you two just picking up where you left off??

I looked up at her, but she was still staring at her screen.

Elena: No, but I did tell him we could get drinks this week.
Me: Well at least work will be less awkward. But I'm still going to be mean to him for the foreseeable future. 
Elena: Haha, fine. 

With that I closed gchat and started to sift through the emails that had piled up since Thursday. I was floored that they had reconciled, but she was right. She couldn't hold a grudge forever when we worked with him every single day. It was very high road of her. 

When I hadn't heard from Ash by lunchtime, I decided to text her about Steve.

Yeah, he replied. We're grabbing dinner tonight.

She answered almost immediately. I felt relieved that things were finally progressing between the two of them. Tuesday passed quickly, as most work days usually did after a long weekend. I was surprised to find Ashley still home when I got back after 7. 

"Hey!" I said cheerfully. She was sitting cross legged on the living room floor, a glass of wine in front of her. Her hair was straightened and glossy and she looked more put together than I had seen her all week. "You look great." 

"Thanks," she said. "I'm so nervous I could puke." 

I laughed, "This is Steve, you've seen him fart like forty times for christ's sake. No need to be nervous." 

She shook her head, "I just don't want to see him in any situation that isn't him professing his undying love for me." 

"Well, not sure how good the odds are on that happening tonight," I said with a smile. 

"Ughhhh," she groaned, flopping her back onto the floor. "Come with me and hold my hand?" 

"Sure, that won't be weird at all," I said, kicking off my heels and heading over to her. "Want some gossip to cheer you up?" I offered.

"Always." 

"Elena was in Nantucket this weekend, and so was Jeff." I saw her eyes widen at this tidbit.

"Did she push him into a pool? Or toss a drink on him?" 

"No," I said with a laugh. "They made up, apparently. And then they made out.

"What!" she squealed. "She was so angry when she told me the story." 

I nodded my head, "Well, she had every right to be. But the lesson from this is that if she can forgive, maybe Steve can too."  
Ash nodded slowly, finishing off her wine. "Thank you for turning this into an episode of Full House." She said with a grin.

I stood up and grabbed her wrists. "Alright missy, time to face the music." When she didn't budge, I stared to walk backwards with her wrists still firmly grasped in my hands. 

"Noo!" She laughed, dragging behind me towards the door. "Okay okay!" she freed herself and stood up. "Wish me luck." 

"Goodluck!" I said. And with that, I was alone again in my apartment. 


**To make up for missing last Friday, come on back for a bonus tomorrow! xoxo** 

9 comments:

  1. I get that Dani is a good friend and just wants to help Ashley out. But what about some honesty? If I were Ashley's friend, I would be asking her to consider making the break up permanent, because if she had such a great relationship why did she cheat? and not once, several times? Poor Steve he deserves a lot better! If she can’t settle down and be just with him right now then she needs to let him find somebody that will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that but she clearly isnt ready to hear are you ready to move on? She is so into him, but I suppose Maddie should have been preparing her for it!

      Delete
    2. Lol, did you just read Minneapple girl? I know what you meant, just thought it was funny :-)

      Delete
    3. Lol! I was wondering where "Maddie" came from. But that is an awesome blog.

      Delete
  2. I'll be surprised if Steve gives ash another chance. Ash hasn't been acting lately like she really wants him. She's just using him for a place to stay & a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im kind of hoping Steve & Ash don't get back together. I feel like he is more into it than she is, and I hate "users".
    Check out my blog!

    http://lovelifela.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found your blog yesterday and was all caught up before I went to bed. Love this story so far. Excited to see what trouble Dani gets into next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so addictive, love the story. I think Dani is being just fine with Ashely. Things will work out (or dissolve completely) when they have to and between Ashely and Peter by themselves.

    If you like this blog, you might enjoy mine: www.poetsantheartbreakers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correction: www.poetsandheartbreakers.blogspot.com

      Delete