Wednesday, October 29, 2014

One lie, Two lie..

On Sunday morning, Dylan and I took advantage of the unseasonably warm October morning and enjoyed brunch outside at one of my favorite spots. As I stifled a yawn - I hadn't been able to fall back asleep all night - he eyed the menu carefully.

"What are you having?" he asked, his eyes still glued to the menu.

"Eggs benny and all of the coffee," I said.

He set his menu down and looked up at me, "Did I keep you up last night? Sorry if I was snoring," he said, giving me a grin and squeezing my hand across the table.

"No, your snoring is like an adorable lullaby," I joked, and the waiter appeared before I could say anything more.

"I'll have the eggs benedict, a bloody mary and coffee please," I said, smiling up at the high-school aged waiter. He scribbled into his notebook before turning to Dylan.

"I'll have the french toast and coffee," he said, handing the waiter his menu.

"No bloody?" I asked, feeling like an alcoholic drinking one alone.

He shook his head, "I have to go into the office this afternoon, and I know once I have one I'll want five more." 

"Some people have no self control," I said, mock-shaking my head. Dylan cracked a weak smile. 

"Really though, is something bothering you? You've seemed a little.. quiet or something all weekend." 

I took a deep breath. I couldn't exactly spit it out that what was bothering me was the realistic dirty dreams I was having about my ex-boyfriend, or the fact that I had been incessantly checking social media since Tuesday waiting for that photo of Nick and me sharing sweet nothings at the premiere to surface. 

"No, nothing. Just distracted with work I guess," I heard myself lie. 

Dylan studied me for a few seconds longer before accepting this answer. 

"So, do you have a dress yet?" he asked, as the waiter appeared with our drinks. 

"For the wedding?" I asked, referencing the wedding of his roommate that was the following weekend.

"Yeah," Dylan said, stirring creamer into his coffee.

"Not yet, but I figured I would drag Ash shopping with me after you leave today," I said. 

"Well," Dylan continued, pausing to sip the piping hot coffee, "I don't want to brag, but I look pretty damn dapper in a suit."

I laughed, "I've seen you in a suit," I said. "Not all that it's cracked up to be."

"Watch your words missy or else you won't be getting laid next weekend," he said with a smile. 

I rolled my eyes, "Please, that would be as much of a punishment for you as it would be me."

"True," he said. "Anyway, I already booked your train for you for Saturday morning. I can't bring a date to the rehearsal dinner, but it gets into Philly at noon on Saturday. Will you be okay to get to the venue by yourself? You can always meet up with Laura beforehand too."

"I can find my way there," I said, taking a long sip of the bloody. "What time is the ceremony?"

"Four, I'll leave my key under the mat so you can use my place to get ready. The ceremony and reception are at the same hotel, so you can walk there from my place."

"Great," I said. Just then our food arrived, and I dug into the heavenly combination of eggs, carbs and hollandaise sauce. 

A few hours later, we were standing in Penn Station and I refused to let go of Dylan's neck. He was laughing, insisting that he was going to miss his train if I didn't let go.

"They haven't even listed your track number yet," I said, burrowing my face deeper into his neck. I was scared that once he left, there would be nothing to distract me from the Nick debacle. 

"Track 4," he said, and I turned around to see, much to my dismay, that his track had been announced. "I'll see you in a few days, crazy lady," he said, giving me one last long kiss. 

"Bye," I said, watching as the crowd swallowed him up. I stood there for a few moments longer, people watching in the vast lobby of Penn Station. I watched a guy who was standing, anxiously scanning the crowd for whomever he was waiting for. I tried to follow his gaze but was only met by a wall of people coming off what appeared to be a train from Boston. 

As I started to head out, I heard a loud squeal and turned back to see a blonde girl barreling towards the man, arms flailing and suitcase bumping along behind her. She shouted something in a language I couldn't place - maybe German - before flinging herself onto him. His grin was practically splitting his face as he squeezed her, spinning around. I smiled watching the reunion - the captivating display of the end of missing someone. 

I turned to head out, mentally counting down the days until I would see Dylan again. All I had to do was focus on him, on us, and I would get past this Nick drama. 

When I got home, Ashley was watching Hocus Pocus on the couch. "Hey," I said, plopping down next to her.

"Hey, Dylan make his train okay?" 

"Unfortunately," I said, scanning through my work emails on my phone.

"You missed an interesting night," she said, lowering the volume on the TV. 

"Oh yeah?" I said, half listening and half reading an email from my intern about her upcoming blog ideas. They were abysmal, which was sugar coating it. 

"Did you even notice that I didn't come home?" she said, and I turned my attention back to Ashley.

"No! Dyl and I went to bed pretty early. Where did you sleep?!" I prayed to god it didn't have anything to do with Steve.

"Trevor's," she said, and a pink flush crept up her cheeks.

"Wait.. Trevor as in, Trevor? As in, Nick's roommate?" I asked. I guess it wasn't too far fetched, they had been flirting the entire premiere. But I had brushed it off, knowing that they were both huge flirts to begin with. Something in me felt defensive about the fact that she had slept at Nick's, and I bit my lip to avoid asking if he had brought anyone home.

"Yesss that Trevor," Ash said. 

"How did that happen?" 

"Well I met up with Haley, who was with Joshua and I totally felt like a third wheel. So I texted Trevor since we had hit it off so well on Tuesday to see if he wanted to meet up." 

"I take it he did," I said with a smile. Despite how uncomfortable I felt about Ashley hanging around my ex's apartment, Trevor was a good guy. And anything to help her move on from Steve was a-okay in my book.

She nodded, "Yeah he met us out, and one thing lead to another and I found myself back at his place at like, 4 a.m." 

"Did you sleep with him?" I asked.

She rolled her eyes, "Duh." 

I laughed, "Oh man. How was it?!" 

"Kind of incredible," she said sheepishly.

"Ahh! Ash!" I yelped, this was great news. 

She nodded, laughing. "I know, ah I think I really like him. He's even already texted me this morning and asked me to grab dinner this week."

"Ash, that's awesome. Trevor is great." 

"You don't mind do you? I know it could be weird if I'm hanging around Nick a lot," Ash said, reading my mind.

Even though it felt weird, I didn't want to ruin anything for my best friend. "Of course not! Nick and I are friends." 

"Okay, good," she said, breaking out into a happy grin. "I was a little worried that you would be uncomfortable." 

"Not at all," I heard myself say my second lie of the day. "Now, get dressed, because we need to go shopping." 

14 comments:

  1. Chris - @nylonlover69 on TwitterOctober 29, 2014 at 10:34 AM

    Ok, this is do-able. Just because Ashley is hanging out with Trevor doesn't mean that you have to get sucked into hanging out more with Nick.

    Did the premier not come up at all over the weekend? I can understand being nervous about Dylan's reaction, but better to tell him what happened than be nervous about that picture showing up and then have him react to it when you had the chance to preempt any potential damage. I have fears that this is going to blow up at the wedding...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed... and I'll bet Cara has something to do with the blow up. That bitch. I'm already mad about it :)

      Delete
    2. In my head, Kara or whatsherface finds the picture of her and nick and asks her point blank about it at the wedding in front of dylan.. oy...

      K

      Delete
  2. Aaaah I don't know what team I'm on anymore... #polygamy :):)
    But I do know, she's handling the Ash/Trevor situation really well... I'm glad she's giving Ash the go-ahead. I hope Ash doesn't screw with Trevor though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's polyandry when it's a woman with multiple husbands.

      Delete
    2. Lol I actually wondered about that when I was typing, but I didn't know so I just went with it. Thanks for the fact check ;)

      Delete
  3. I don't know what to say about her situation. On the one hand, I feel like if you're trying so hard to get someone out of your head, then something is wrong with the current relationship. But, in reality things are more complicated than that and there are ups and downs.
    I have a feeling something is going to blow up at the wedding.
    As for Ashley, well she did the right thing, I just hope it doesn't ruin anything with Dylan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's the thing. I still really like Dylan and Dani and want to see where this goes. I think Dani needs to not get so caught up in what Nick is doing now that she forgets why it didn't work between them. She and Dylan haven't had much time together - but I have loved reading about their relationship so much that I want to see where this goes and for Dani to give it the proper time and attention it deserves.

    Sb

    ReplyDelete
  5. What happened with Dylan maybe getting a job transfer to NY? That could be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i hope this blog begins to explore relationship issues other than just jealousy/ex-boyfriends

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are embarking on a dangerous thought process Dani... could it be a case of wanting what you can't have for both Dani and Nick?

    http://jocelynseverydayjourneys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am loving where this story line is going!!! I have a feeling were gunna be seeing more and more of Nick lol
    I'm excited for the wedding post :)

    http://lifebysarahxo.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I for one and having a hard time with where the story line is going. I agree with a lot of the posters that this is a case of the I want what I can't have and she needs to remember why they didn't work in the first place. She was invested while dylan wasnt and now that he is trying like she wanted, she is doing this. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete