Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Deceptive Date

I surveyed my outfit in the mirror on Tuesday afternoon. I had no clue what one wore to a reality TV premiere party, so I went with something easy. A strappy blue dress that dipped dangerously low in the back, falling into a flirty, loose skirt that ended several inches above my knees. I paired it with nude heels, and headed into the living room to check on Ashley's progress.

"Ash?" I called, hoping my voice would carry over the blaring music coming from her room.

"Yeah?" she called. 

"We have to go in 15!" I yelled back, pulling a bottle of white from the fridge. Occasionally, I told myself I was going to cut back on wine during the week. But usually I had those internal pep talks with myself while I was drinking said wine during said week. 

I poured two glasses and sipped mine slowly, deciding what to text Dylan. He hadn't been all together pleased when I informed him that I was going tonight, but he didn't tell me that I couldn't go. He'd acted a little cold the past two days since I told him, but it was nothing I couldn't remedy with a little extra TLC this weekend. 

Hey love, heading to the premiere shortly - call you after xo 

I pulled up second text to Nick, feeling only mildly uncomfortable that I was simultaneously texting my ex and my current BF.

Hey, almost ready over here! What's your ETA? 

The show was providing Nick with a car to take him to and from the event, so he had graciously offered to pick Ash and me up at 5:30. The only information that Nick had given us was that the screening of the pilot started at 7:00, and was being held at a space called Arena in Midtown.

Just got the car, be there in 15. 

I relayed this information to Ash, and downed my wine before she emerged from her room.

"Ow, owww," I said, taking in her outfit. She'd chosen a fitted midi skirt in a black and white pattern, with a black crop top and sky-high heels. She did a dramatic spin for me, her blonde hair cascading in waves down her back.

"You look fantastic!" I said.

"Thanks, I figured if I look good, maybe I'll feel good, and that will distract me from whats-his-face," she said, applying a coat of matte lipstick. I wordlessly handed her the glass of wine I had poured her. 

"You mean that guy you used to live with who's getting married?" 

She pretended to ponder this, "Hmm, doesn't ring a bell." 

We clinked glasses and I took a long sip of my second glass for the evening. I didn't want to get too drunk, but I needed something to calm my nerves. A few minutes later there was a buzz at the door.

"Hello?" I said into the speaker.

"Your chariot is here," I heard Nick's voice on the other end. 

"We'll be right out," I said, slipping on my heels. "Ready?" I asked Ash, who nodded excitedly before following me out the door. 

When we stepped outside I noticed that ominous clouds were filling the sky, a promise of rain to come that would surely ruin my hair later. I was so distracted debating the perils of the weather that my heart nearly leapt out of my chest when I saw Nick. 

He was wearing a suit that looked like it had been created just for him, hugging his broad shoulders and torso in all the right places. His blonde hair was slicked back, showing off his blue eyes. 

"Well don't you two look stunning," he said, and I tried my hardest to pull Dylan to the front of my mind.

Nick kissed us each on our cheek and opened the door to the large black SUV. Ash climbed in first as I made a conscious effort to ignore Nick's warm, lingering hand on my bare back. Nick's roommate, Trevor, was already in the car.

"Hey guys!" he said holding up a glass of scotch by way of greeting.

Ashley laughed, "Looks like you've already started the party."

Trevor raised his eyebrows and gave a charming smile. The four of us chatted as the car drove uptown, and I declined Trevor's offer of a drink. I noticed Nick wasn't drinking either, and I wondered if he had been instructed not to. As the street numbers grew higher, Nick became quieter and quieter. 

"You okay?" I asked him quietly while Ashley and Trevor were engrossed in an argument about the best sushi place in the city.

"Yeah," he said, leaning over and giving my hand a squeeze. "Just a little nervous, not like I do these things a lot." He gave me his signature half-smile. 

"You'll do great!" I said eagerly. "You've been doing all of those promotions, I'm sure you could do this in your sleep."

"Yeah, but what if no one likes the show?" he asked.

"Well Nick, I hate to break it to you but it's reality TV. I don't think anyone is expecting you to win an Emmy," I grinned.

He laughed in response and squeezed my hand again. "I'm glad you came.. Both of you," he said. 

"Me too," I replied, sneaking a glance at my phone. Dylan hadn't bothered to reply to my text. 

A few moments later the car jolted to a stop, and the driver grunted something along the lines of "We're here." A young guy with a headset opened the door, grinning widely when he saw Nick.

"Nicholas! Right on time. Now come on, come on, it's show time!" The peppy kid was talking a mile a minute. Nick stepped out, and clapped him on the back affectionately.

"Reno, I want you to meet my guests," Nick said, extending his hand to me. I gingerly stepped out of the car, careful not to pull a Britney. 

"This is Danielle," he said, and I shook Reno's hand giving him what I expected would be the first of many forced smiles for the evening. 

"Gorgeous, gorgeous!" Reno said enthusiastically, and I stepped aside, laughing, as he greeted Trevor and Ash with the same eager warmth.

The next 30 minutes was a blur of hand shaking, introductions, and trying to stand at the outskirts of photos as people snapped away at Nick. It seemed like he knew everyone there. Once we had made it inside, I was awe-struck by the gorgeous interior of the event space. A large screen had been set up in the middle, with chiavari chairs arranged in a semi-circle and an aisle parting the middle. Each chair in the first three rows was draped with a sign and I spotted my name, right next to Nick's, in the front row. 

"Where are Ash and Trevor sitting?" I asked as we walked past the seats on the way to the bar. 

Nick shrugged, "I'm not sure." 

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Did you somehow trick me into being your date under the guise of this being a group thing?" 

Nick bit his lip, something he did when he was trying desperately not to smile. 

"Nicholas!" I said, punching his arm harder than intended. 

"Sorry! Look, I needed a date and the thought of bringing someone I hardly knew was unbearable," he said. 

"You lied to me!" I said again accusingly. 

"Lie is a little harsh. I prefer provided you with slightly inaccurate information," he said. 

"I have a boyfriend," I said, half a reminder to him, and half a reminder to myself. 

"So I've heard," Nick replied, any traces of humor gone as he turned away from me and ordered at the bar. He silently handed me a glass of champagne, and when we turned around a tall, insanely goodlooking guy was behind us. 

"Nick!" the guy said loudly, and the two shared one of those manly half-hug, half-handshake situations. "And who is this," he asked, gesturing towards me with his drink.

"Danielle," I replied, extending my hand to the handsome stranger. 

"Eric," he said, grasping my hand firmly. "Always good to meet a friend of Nick's."

"Eric and I are on the show together," Nick said, and I sensed a weird tension between the two of them. 

"Sure are," Eric said, rocking back onto his heels. "I showed Nick the ropes at work when he was the new kid."

"Well we better be finding our seats," Nick said, placing his hand on my back and pulling me away.

"Great meeting you, Eric," I said over my shoulder as Nick lead us back into the crowd. I scanned the room, spotting Ash and Trevor already seated in the middle. I tried to catch her eye but she was engrossed in something that Trevor was telling her. 

The lights dimmed as Nick and I took our seats. A woman stood up front, welcoming everyone to the premiere. "That's the producer," Nick whispered to me, his breath on my shoulder sending shivers down my spine. "She's a massive bitch, by the way," he added, making me laugh. 

At that moment, a photographer swung by and snapped a photo. Without seeing it, I knew that it portrayed a misleading situation. Nick whispering in my ear, me leaning in grinning like a fool. Knowing without a doubt it would end up on social media in light of how often Nick's name was online these days, I prayed that Dylan wasn't going to freak out on me. 

As the producer wrapped up, the lights went out almost completely and a montage of the city came on the screen.

"Here we go!" I said to Nick as the music began to play. 



16 comments:

  1. Ugh I want Dani's life! Such a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris - @nylonlover69 on TwitterOctober 22, 2014 at 11:25 AM

    Damn you, Nick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh I can't believe I'm about to say this as I've always been team Dylan but Nick is starting to grow on me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dylan will so freak out about this. And I don't know, what does she really feel in this long distance thing and about Nick? Not sure her and Dylan will cut it together.
    P.S. Am I the only one dying to know what's going on with Eric?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did she think Dylan was going to be thrilled by this? I have no idea why she thought this was a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either. Considering the fact that she hated when Dylan went on group outings/activities when Kara was involved it seems like a double standard. Also personally, after finding out he lied to get her as his date I would have left. Clearly he thinks she's a pushover that he doesn't need to be honest with or even need to respect her current relationship.

      Delete
  6. I keep thinking that the night Dani ran into Nick and woke up with him on her couch is going to come back to haunt her. Anyone else think she is going to be making a cameo on this show??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesssss! I've thought that this whole time!

      Delete
  7. I do not understand why she wouldn't just leave after knowing Nick lied to her and would put her in a possibly horrible situation with Dylan. Bad bad bad

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so #teamNick everyday more. They are so meant to be together really

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to laugh at the Dylan had been cold to her the last few days, but that's nothing a little TLC couldn't fix remark....yeahhhh if someone's upset at you going on days, and not texting you back, it might be beyond the TLc fixings. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no, dani needs to be careful here. http://mycautiouslyoptimisticstory.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  11. She's obviously not committed to Dylan or she wouldn't have gone in the first place, hope she doesn't do anything with nick, and hope she hurries up and ends things with Dylan if she is going to continue to act like this.. I like Dylan better but she's not committed. Also she really needs to remember why she and Nick didn't work and maybe nick is just pushing more into her life because she has a boyfriend, how do we know he wants a relationship

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much going on in this post lol!
    I'm sure Eric will come up again, that certainly has my interest probably some manly competitive thing going on between him and Nick
    Still team Dylan! Although he shouldn't be acting too cold cuz he used to go out when Kara would be there, but then again Dani would get mad lol such a tricky situation!

    http://lifebysarahxo.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post kinda bums me out because I really wanted to see where things with Dylan would go, and I feel like Dani is doing so many of the things she accused Dylan of doing or not doing when she talked about him as non-boyfriend material. I wish in this case she might actually realize that her actions speak louder than words and he actually has feelings too. He might not be perfect, but what happens if his next announcement is that he is able to transfer to NY?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've said it before but I'm so over Dylan. I'm hoping she gives gives things with Nick another chance! #teamnick #dylanwho

    ReplyDelete