Friday, September 5, 2014

BCBG

On Thursday Morning, I surveyed my outfit in front of the mirror before the BCBG show. I was sporting silk high-waisted black shorts, a BCBG black fitted crop top and a long open tan cardigan with tie up sandals. My long wavy hair was pulled into a side fishtail and by some act of god I had mastered the cat eye. I thought the finished product was pretty good, considering.  

I grabbed Ashley's BCBG envelope clutch that she graciously let me borrow and headed out the door. The show was at 10 o'clock up by the office at Lincoln Center, and I wanted to get there early to scope it out and take some notes for the blog post.

As I walked towards the subway I pulled out my phone, unsurpised to find a text from Dylan. Ever since our conversation Tuesday night he had sent me roughly one text per waking hour. After his message that we "needed to talk" I had set my phone down and agonizingly waited until after work to call him. 

"Hey," I'd said once he answered as I walked my way downtown.

"Hi babe," he had replied, and my heart had skipped a few beats at the pet name. Surely he wouldn't preface the conversation with that if he intended on dumping me.

"So what did you need to talk about?" I had asked, cutting right to the chase.

I heard him sigh before answering, and I pictured him running his hand through his hair the way he did when he was stressed.

"Look, Kara was down the shore this weekend," he had started, and my stomach dropped to my feet. 

"Nothing happened, trust me, nothing. But she still tries pretty hard and we did pass out in the upstairs bedroom on Saturday night. Believe me that nothing happened, we were just talking but Laura walked in on us the next morning sleeping and I guess she kind of assumed.." 

"Assumed what..?" I had asked skeptically.

"I mean we'd all been in the hot tub earlier, so Kara and I were both in our suits and in bed together. I don't know, Laura just gave me shit about hurting you so I think she assumed more happened than really did." 

I had no idea what to say. Laura hadn't mentioned a word to me and even so, he was being way more defensive than normal. So he passed out in bed with someone? That seemed to be pretty much protocol in the shore house where mattress real estate was hard to come by. 

"Okay," I had said, shaking it off (#taytay). I didn't want to start an argument over the phone. "So that's all?" I asked.

"Yes, babe. I just didn't want you to hear anything from Laura and get upset."

I had nodded, even though he couldn't see me.

"Okay, well I'm about to get on the subway so I'll talk to you later," I had said sharply. 

"Wait, how was your day? Are you excited for the fashion show?"

I bit my lip. I wanted to fill him in on my day and act normal, but a bigger part of me was telling me that something was up.

"Yeah. But the next train is in like two minutes so I've got to go," I had said before hanging up.

That was two days ago and I'd ignored his calls ever since, always making excuses about why I couldn't answer. I'd replied to texts but kept the responses to a three to four word maximum. This wasn't even the second or third time that Dylan had made me doubt him and I was starting to get really scared that my heart would be shredded into ten thousand pieces. I had to decide if I was willing to take that risk. 

I hailed a cab on 10th and settled in, trying to calm my nerves for the show. I was equal parts excited and terrified that I would embarrass myself. 

Outside of Lincoln Center, I found Elena looking stunning in a black romper and killer blue heels.

"Hey!" I greeted her with a huge hug. 

"Hi!" she replied. "I think I just saw Shay Mitchell" 

I frantically scanned around, but didn't spot the Pretty Little Liars star. "Let's go inside," I squealed, linking my arm through hers. "I want to get seated so we can scope out the other celebrities!" 

Once we had made it through the throngs of people, paparazzi and security we settled in to our third row seats. I surveyed the crowd, catching sight of a few B-list celebs. The energy in the room was electric, everyone murmuring and looking around anxious for the show to begin. By the time the lights dimmed, I had already filled out an entire screens worth of notes in my phone.

The show began with upbeat music and it was clear from the start that the theme was long, flowing, bohemian pieces. I kept refreshing my Instagram feed to check for the items I could "purchase". Colleen told me not to actually buy anything, but I was supposed to "like" a few of the items and then check to see how the email system worked. 

Elena and I were awestruck by some of the gorgeous filmy garments, all presented in subtle prints and pastel colors. Nearly everything looked like something I would wear, if I had about six more inches on my frame. I tested out the shoppable feature on two of the dresses that I adored, and was almost instantly greeted with an email on how to buy the item. If I was a rich celeb, this would basically be the dream.

By the time the show ended and everyone had applauded, we filtered out with the rest of the crowd and started the slow walk back to the office. I was busy typing notes into my phone as Elena navigated the sidewalk for me, yelling out things like "biker" or "small child" every twenty feet. 

It was nearly noon by the time I sat down at my desk and I was chomping at the bit to write the post and get it up quickly. I uploaded a few of the photos of Elena and I at the show, along with some lower quality ones of the models on the runway. Hopefully if I made this piece good, I could get assigned better topics to cover for the blog. It was getting pretty hard to write about sex and beauty hacks every single day. While furiously typing away, I saw an email notification pop up in the lower right hand corner of my screen from Dylan. Opening it, I saw an Amtrak confirmation for the next day with a small note from Dylan up top.

Come see me this weekend, please? 

25 comments:

  1. Oh Dylan.. I just don't know. It's one thing to fall asleep next to someone at a shore house.. It's another thing to fall asleep next to a woman you used to sleep with (who is obviously still interested). I just wouldn't be comfortable with him still hanging out with her.. As much as I liked Dylan from the start, I think Dani needs to listen to her instincts and if she can't trust him, maybe they need to take a break. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh Dylan is so shiesty and annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still really like Dylan. There is a lot to figure out with the whole long distance thing, but I hope it works for at least a little while. He can certainly do more to earn her trust, but I think he's a good guy and I love them together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really, I don't see how grown adults who are in relationships can justify "passing out" in bed with someone of the opposite sex who isn't their significant other. That is just so ridiculous. I just would not trust him. At all. And I would definitely have a problem with the fact that he was ok with it and didn't think his behavior was a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree! I want to like Dylan but the fact that he can't distance himself from Kara is a problem and call me crazy, but falling asleep with someone he used to have sex with is just so inappropriate!

      Delete
    2. I agree, as well. No matter how drunk they were, Dylan could still do something about it, especially since they were still talking before they fell asleep!

      Delete
  5. I think he needs to get away from Kara. Show Dani you really like her and are committed rather than having to explain yourself every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the problem though? He really isn't committed to Dani if he is OK with passing out in bed with Kara. That is not appropriate behavior. How would he react is she passed out in some guy's bed? The whole situation is messed up.

      Delete
  6. I really feel like in this post Dani has finally taken control of this relationship. She's always wanted Dylan so badly and now she's taking some space and he's chasing her. I like it. Hopefully Dylan will see that he can't treat her this way and get his shit together. I think Dani needs to lay it out and tell him what Kara said about them hooking up at the beginning too. Hopefully he'll see he needs space from kara.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the update, but I'm torn. These things seem to just happen to Dylan a lot. If she decides to go to Philly, I hope she gives him a stern talking to because he needs to respect her more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I think this weekend should be a do or die... either he realizes how wrong he was or they're over. I agree he needs to respect her more. Why would kara respect their relationship if Dylan doesnt?

      Delete
  8. Oh Dylan Dylan Dylan I'm happy that he told her but he needs to get Kara out of his life completely and then these convos wouldn't be happening. I think he is invested in dani but the long distance is hard :( I want them to work so bad! So Dylan get it together and dani stop worrying so much please! Hope she heads down there and hope they work it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep seeing people saying get Kara out of his life, but really, Dylan needs to get his head out of his butt. Sorry, this isn't about Kara, this is about Dylan and his non-existent boundaries when it comes to appropriate behavior. This is a Dylan issue. If he was really interested in making a relationship work with Dani, he would NOT continue to engage in activities with Kara knowing how she feels, he would NOT put himself in a position to "pass out" with her in bed. Sorry ladies, but Dylan is a loser boyfriend. What woman would want to deal with that crap?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree! 100%

      As someone else said... would he be understanding if she passed out in Nick's bed?

      Delete
  10. He did something with her. Laura threatened to out him if he didn't, so he told her nothing happened.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really liked how Dani handled herself in this post. I wish I had enough willpower to ignore texts and calls as well as she does! I agree with other commenters that this weekend should be an either all in or all out agreement on both their parts. I liked Dylan a lot, but I think Dani deserves a hell of a lot better at this point.

    sheerluckandpixiedust.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonus bonus bonus please :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep, totally agree Dylan needs to distance himself from the old flames. What makes it so bad is he knows Kara still wants him & he's still hanging around with her. Duh! Something is bound to happen. He'd be ticked knowing Nick slept over a few weeks back or that Dani 'accidentally' ended up in Nick's bed after a night out. These people in Dylan's group seem to party an awful lot & that causes trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that Dylan needs to grow up a bit I mean he's partying all the time which isn't a huge issue but it is when it's with your ex and it's not really bf material. I really do like them together and hope this weekend they get this all out on the table

    ReplyDelete
  15. Time to grow up. If Dylan wants to be in a committed relationship with Dani, he cannot keep getting himself into situations that he has to explain himself out of. It's just BS and it's getting old, fast. mum

    ReplyDelete
  16. Are you posting today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It'll be up by 5 p.m. EST, made a mention of it on twitter (@Trag20Something).

      Delete