Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Something Awkward Part 2

If Kara had sat down in Dylan's seat with the intent to tell me something, she never had the chance. Like some kind of incredible act of fate, Dylan entered the room with his bridesmaid on his arm, dancing wildly during the introductions. Instead of lining up along the dance floor, each couple was walking over to their seats. Just 30 seconds after Kara had sat down Dylan was lurking over her chair looking perplexed.

"Kara?" he hissed, not wanting to cause a scene right before Erica and Ryan were set to walk out.

She smiled up at him slyly, before shifting down a few chairs. Dylan sat down in his now-empty seat, and leaned over to give me a quick kiss. I gave him a forced smile before fixing my gaze on the newlyweds. 

Their first dance was to "Better Together", which I found adorable since almost every other wedding song I had heard lately was "All of Me". When the song ended, salads miraculously appeared on our plates and I dug in. Our table had filled up and I was dismayed to see that Kara and an unidentified man were both sharing table number 3 with us. 

"What'd you think?" Dylan asked me as I attempted to stab a walnut with my fork. 

"About...?" 

"My entrance!" he said, as if it was so obvious. Clearly he hadn't given the fact that Kara had been monopolizing my attention one ounce of a thought.

"Oh.. right, it was great!" I said, sending him another fake smile. My eyes kept straying to Kara every ten seconds. She was wearing ivory which I found completely tacky, seeing as we were at a wedding. 

The next hour passed in a blur of appetizers, entrees and more wine. Dylan seemed to know everyone at our table but he kept his attention focused on me. When it came time to dance, he swept me onto the makeshift dance floor and impressed me with his moves. I was laughing out loud and covered in sweat, and had almost completely forgotten about Kara until I saw her walking out of the ballroom later in the evening.

"I have to go to the bathroom," I said to Dylan, mid-YMCA song. He nodded and stepped into another group of friends to resume dancing. 

I swung by our table to grab my clutch and exited the ballroom the same way I had seen Kara leave. I don't know what it was that possessed me to follow her, but I had felt like she wanted to say something to me earlier and it was killing me to know what. 

I headed down the corridor, the thick walls muffling the music from the dance floor. As I swung open the door to the bathroom, I heard a few other people in the stalls and saw a brunette reapplying her lipstick in the mirror. I didn't actually have to go to the bathroom, so I stood next to the girl and fussed with my makeup and washed my hands, killing time until Kara emerged. 

A few minutes later, she came out of a stall followed by another girl, wiping her nose. Classy.

I re-washed my hands, pretending like I had just came out of the stall too. I kept my eyes focused down, scrubbing under my fingernails. I felt Kara's cool gaze on me as she approached the sink to my left. 

"Hey Dani," she said, and I lifted my gaze, pretending to act surprised at her arrival.

"Oh, hey," I said nonchalantly. 

"I'm really glad you came, you know, considering," she said. I felt a jolt of confusion rush through me, even though I had been prepared for her to say something like this. 

"Considering what?" I asked sweetly, shaking the excess water from my hands and reaching for a pre-folded towel. 

"Well I just haven't seen you around in a while, and Dylan never mentions you. Honestly, most of us though he had cut the cord," she shrugged before applying a coat of an orange-based lipstick that was completely wrong with her skin tone. I felt the anger bubbling up inside of me as I reasoned with myself. She could absolutely be saying this to get under my skin. But what if Dylan never mentioned me? Not that he had any obligation to, but how hard is it to interject the words "my girlfriend" into conversation once in awhile? 

I took a deep breath before continuing. "We're better than ever," I said, lacing my words with the same sickly sweet tone as she had used with me. 

I sulked past her, both relieved that that was all the ammo she had but also irritated that people thought Dylan and I were no longer together. Fueled by the indignation, I marched onto the dance floor and found Dylan right where I had left him. The music had slowed a bit and I coiled myself around him, as if to stake my claim. I kissed him, long and hard, and I could feel his appreciative response. If anyone in the room had questioned whether or not he was single, they wouldn't anymore. 

20 comments:

  1. I know everyone is Team Dylan (and I can certainly admit that he is swoon-worthy) but something about him just doesn't sit well with me. I've always had this nagging feeling about him ever since he and Dani first started dating. Can't wait to see how it plays out. Love your writing, I'm completely hooked on this story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm playing with the idea of making a Team Dylan v Team Nick vote because in the comments I find it to be so divided! It'd be cool to see who everyone is leaning towards.

      Delete
  2. Is it just me or does it just seem like Dani and Dylan together is just too difficult and high-schoolish? If you have to constantly defend your relationship or make sure people "know" you are together, that just seems like too much energy. Who is she trying to prove something to? Dylan's friends or herself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. True friends want their friends to be in a happy relationship and I find it very odd how territorial all of the women in this friend group of his is. My 16 years of dating intuition tells me he's spread himself a little thin through this group and it's turned into a gaggle of spurned ex's.

      Delete
    2. Some girl who wants to be with him said that, that doesn't make them seem like they are proving their relationship to anyone not sure where you got that

      Delete
    3. Her actions show that she is trying to prove something to someone.I coiled myself around him, as if to stake my claim. "I kissed him, long and hard, and I could feel his appreciative response. If anyone in the room had questioned whether or not he was single, they wouldn't anymore." Right there, who is she trying to convince?

      Delete
  3. Why would she take anything Kara has to say seriously? I hope she doesn't confront Dylan in an angry way, but I definitely think she needs to share what Kara said. I've always been annoyed she never told him what Kara said in the bathroom of the bar on her first visit to Philly. Anyway, I agree with the above poster, this relationship is seriously high maintenance and that's not a good thing. I love Dylan, but it just seems like too much work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Long distance is always a lot more work..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True....but this relationship is beyond work. There is no trust and no respect. They seem to constantly be questioning and defending what they are doing and with whom they are doing it with. It is just a huge headache.

      Delete
    2. I think your exaggerating some, it hasn't always been about defending or questioning. We seen many other blogs and stories where some jealous girl wants her man and she over thinks it and questions it

      Delete
  5. Kara is just saying whatever to get on her nerves...I wouldn't worry about it..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with everyone else. As of right now, it doesn't seem like Kara has any dirt or anything. Just that she's trying to cause trouble.

    And on another note, I love it when the bridal party comes in dancing like crazy at receptions. So funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It's even better when you get to be a part of the crazy dancing.

      Delete
  7. l think Kara is just being Kara... She's trying to stir up the pot any way she can. I wonder if the other ladies at the table had seen pictures in the media of Nick and Dani together at the premiere and that's why they were acting weird.

    http://jocelynseverydayjourneys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wish the posts were longer. This post doesn't give us much information on the plot itself. It just tells us that Kara told Dani that Dylan doesn't talk about her so Dani made out with Dylan to prove that they're dating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh she posted 4 times last week! Give her a break! Just pray she doesn't burn out and quit all together!

      Delete
    2. haha thanks for the back up! But I know, I do feel bad when the posts are shorter, but it's usually because of a time crunch. I am still working full time ya know :) But I make sure to never post it unless I feel the post is worthwhile and not just all fluff! I'll try to make Friday's a bit longer.

      Delete
  9. I think Dani and Dylan need to talk about their feelings and what's going on with each other to build up some level of trust - with Nick, with Kara and just the stuff going on in their lives. We haven't see that kinda post in awhile where they have talked about the relationship and where it's at/what they want out of it...or a lot of intense physical scenes between them either (hint, hint, ha!) - Team Dylan or Team Nick, I seriously do wish we could just see where this goes a bit more with giving it a fair shot because I don't feel like we've been able to see enough of it yet! I also wish Dylan could move to NYC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with above post. They need to sit down and decide where the relationship is going.

      Delete