Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Game Plan

**One day left to vote Team Dylan v Team Nick! Not sure yet if it'll affect the story line, since I already have an idea of what is next. But it's great to see everyone's opinion!** 

Dylan's train was due in at 1 p.m., so I had texted Ash asking her to make herself scarce for a few hours. Not that she had even returned home from Trevor's anyway. It was now 1:05 and he would be arriving at my apartment any minute, depending on how in demand the cabs were outside Penn Station.

I tried to decide what props I would need to help fuel this serious conversation that Dylan (unexpectedly, the poor sap) and I were about to have. Cheese platter? Tea sandwiches? I wasn't even hungry, and I assumed that Dylan had probably grabbed a bite at 30th like he usually did. Instead, I paced the small apartment, trying to tame the butterflies in my stomach. What if this ended badly? What if he decided that this was too serious and wanted out? I surveyed my outfit in the mirror for the seventh time that hour. Boyfriend jeans, worn-in sweater that hung off one shoulder, loose curls and minimal makeup. I had chosen one of my least favorite tops just in case this ended badly. I had a habit of associating clothes with memories, and if this was a bad one I didn't want to have a hard time parting with what I'd been wearing. 

As I padded into the kitchen and opened the fridge again, my eyes landed on the half-empty (half-full?) bottle of Pinot. As I reached for it I reasoned with myself; just a glass to calm my nerves. While I watched the liquid pouring into a glass, I wondered for not the first time how many drinks per week constituted alcoholism. 

As I sipped the calm-inducing liquid, I mentally ran through my talking points. Was this really going somewhere, since we always seemed to fight? Did he really see a future with us? Why did I still not trust him? I forced these issues to the front of my mind, backing them with real incidences of when I had felt insecure, distrust and unsure. I was determined not to let my excitement at seeing him and my female anatomy do any of the talking until we had hashed out these issues. 

By the time the buzzer sounded a few minutes later, I had worked up to an emboldened version of myself that I wasn't even sure I recognized. I opened the door and gave him a stiff hug. 

"Hey gorgeous," he said, trying to pull me tighter. I resisted. 

Holding me at arms length, he gave me a confused expression. "What do I smell or something?" 

I returned his question with a weak smile. "I think we need to talk."

His face dropped, and I immediately regretted my first words. Quickly losing confidence at his dismayed expression, I tried to reword my thoughts. 

"I just mean, I have a few things on my mind I want to talk about.." I trailed. 

"Right now?" he asked. I admit, it did seem a little like an ambush. He was still standing in the doorway, bag slung over one shoulder and the brisk cold clinging to his body like an invisible cloud. 

"Yes," I nodded, leading him to the couch. 

"Do I at least get a kiss first?" he asked, in an effort to lighten the tense mood I had created. I leaned over and gave him a kiss on the cheek before settling back into the couch. 

"Okay so.. what's going on?" he asked, slinging his coat over the back of the couch and sitting down across from me. There was so much space between us, and I ached to close it. But I continued on with my preamble. 

"First off, I don't want you to think that this is about those transfer papers. Because it's not. I totally get why you turned that down," I began. He nodded slowly, still unsure where this was going. "But I just feel like.. it's been more than 5 months since we started hooking up, and I still don't trust you. And we never talk about the future. And I don't want you to move here right now - I mean, if you did it'd be great but it's not something I need- but I just want to know what you're thinking. About...us." 

He absorbed this, his poker face not giving away an ounce of what he thought. After an uncomfortable 30 seconds I was about to ramble more when he finally spoke.

"Dani..I've told you how I feel about you. And that I'm not the best at relationships. If I didn't want to be with you or didn't see a future with us, I wouldn't be with you." 

"I know but I just always feel like you're so distant. And the fact that Kara still says stuff--"

"This is about Kara again?" he interrupted. "I don't know how many times I can tell you that there is nothing going on there. Nothing.

I couldn't help but notice he didn't look me in the eyes as he said this. 

"Plus, you're out hanging out with your ex-boyfriend all of the time and I never say a word!" he was raising his voice now. "I mean you had dinner with him last night, jesus. You didn't even call me like I'd asked, and when I called you I got no answer. But I trust you, so I brushed it off. Yet here I am, after a two hour train ride, and you immediately start accusing me of being untrustworthy? I mean come on Danielle." 

His words stung, and for a moment I didn't speak. I had always assumed I was the injured party in this relationship, but he had a point. 

"Nick is just.. complicated. He's a part of my life. But I'd never let anything happen with him," I said, trying to believe my own words. 

"This isn't about Nick or Kara," I continued. "I just want to know about us. If you're really in this, or if it's just how you're passing the time."

"I could ask you the same thing," he said. 

I felt exhausted already, this conversation was not going the way I had hoped. 

"Every time we hang out, it's great. We have fun. But we never talk about anything," I said.

"What do you want to talk about?" 

"Us! A future. Anything." 

"You said this isn't about those transfer papers, but it kind of seems like it is," he said softly.

I shrugged.

"You're the one who is from Philly, don't you ever think about coming back? I mean, it is your hometown." 

"I know.. but the jobs I want, the career I want, is easier to get in New York. And you're in finance.. there's an entire district dedicated to that here!" I said in a meek attempt to make a joke. 

"Dani.. like you said, it's only been 5 months. I like you a lot. I love spending time with you. If you need some sort of grand commitment right now.. I can't offer you that. All I can tell you is I like how things are going."

"Me too," I said, feeling like we had accomplished nothing. 

"How about this," he said, reaching for my hand. "Let's enjoy this weekend. Then, take some time to think about what you really want from me. Because honestly, I don't even think you know. And I'll do the same."

"Okay," I said to him. Thankful that he had proposed a game plan. 

"And I'll still see you the weekend after Thanksgiving, and we can talk more then." 

I nodded, and finally allowed myself to crawl into his lap. Feeling safe, I exhaled and allowed his strong arms to wrap around me. I couldn't explain why but at that moment, I had a distinct feeling that I was losing something.  

37 comments:

  1. Too short! Judging by the poll, it looks like Nick is going to be back in the story soon. I'm team Dylan, but I guess this has played out as long as it can...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im so team Dylan but frankly he doesn't deserve. Nick can have her ass lol

      Delete
  2. This blog is getting boring...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to work in some knife fights next time, as I carve out the 30 minutes needed between my real job and social life to write this! :)

      Delete
    2. Loving this blog! Keep up the good work!

      Delete
    3. I disagree with the original comment entirely. This is one of the few blogs I have kept up with and probably the only one I'm still excited about when it's posting day.

      Delete
    4. Ha ha, knife fights, nice response Dani! I think the blog is great, I am really interested to see what she decides to do about Dylan and if she wants to pursue her feelings with Nick!

      Delete
    5. A good knife fight would definitely liven up this blog LOL

      Delete
    6. Dani, if you could have Dylan and Nick fight to the death with tridents and pitchforks to win her hand, that'd be greeeat.

      Delete
  3. So glad they talkedd I'm excited to see how things go, but I'm ready for resolution on the nick/dylan front. Glad we're getting it! I love this blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also really hoping to find out if dylan has been faithful to dani or not. We know dani has been, even though her actions have been questionable, but I think dylan is a cheater.

      Delete
  4. A couple points I think might be helpful:
    1. Its really easy to write "this blog is boring." What's not easy is to write week and week consistently blending older storylines with new ones.
    2. This blog is not boring. It's funny and true to life. Not everything in life comes to a boiling point overnight.
    3. I hope the author doesn't let these comments get to her--you are obviously really talented and the fact that you have stupid comments like the above points to the fact that you've got something good going on here (I think you could look into monetizing with ads or R-style links for what Dani is wearing.)

    Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great points, and thanks! I've looked into monetizing, but due to my "content" (aka, sex-related stuff) I can't. But I'll definitely try to do more of the R-style links!

      Delete
  5. I absolutely love this blog and I think your writing is phenomenal! I feel no shame admitting that I check for updates frequently! I'm REALLY hoping that her and Nick give things another chance! -- I know he made a mistake breaking things off with her, but we all make mistakes! And the chemistry between them is amazeballs -- And also find out if Dylan has been faithful...I just really don't trust him.

    And if you think the blog is boring, there is always the option of not reading it haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)

      And yeah I don't get it, when I've lost interest in blogs in the past I don't comment about it. Just seems unnecessary. Obviously what I write here won't appeal to everyone, and I take no offense to that! But vocalizing it is just rude.

      Delete
  6. It's also really easy to post anonymously with a stupid negative comment and leave no other constructive commentary. If you are bored, don't waste your time and then blame others.

    I for one really enjoy the entertainment of reading this blog and others, especially considering that the authors are doing this out of their own time and aren't compensated for it. Thank you Dani for writing every week, please don't let the online bullies who don't even have the balls to add a name to their comment get to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. :-(

    dont go back to nick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris - @nylonlover69 on Twitter/IGNovember 19, 2014 at 2:56 PM

      If you weren't so hung up on Brady, you might leave the Windy City and go chasing Dylan yourself!

      Delete
    2. heyyy I'm allowed to be hung up on bae. I think Dylan and I will be together someday though <3 #teamdylan

      Delete
  8. Chris - @nylonlover69 on Twitter/IGNovember 19, 2014 at 3:16 PM

    I read this a couple of hours ago and I'm still not sure how I feel. On one hand, I feel like Dani ambushed Dylan by letting him come up from Philly and then hitting him with "we need to talk" before the door was even closed. He rightfully pointed out that her interactions with Nick haven't exactly been on the up and up, and he (Nick) is only part of her life because she allows him to be. Did Dani lose something? Yeah, and it's her own fault.

    Oh, and I wanna hear about the knife fight, like when the bad guy gets attacked by the bad spirits and they take him away screaming...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did she lose something? Probably. And she brought it on herself. She is always questioning Dylan, and he never questions her, even though she goes out with Nick all the time. Even though he continuously disrespects her relationship status. I think she needs to evaluate her own commitment to this relationship, not just Dylan's.

    She also needs to remember how many issues her and Nick had, as well as how many times they broke up. It is always easy to forget the bad times you start missing someone.

    I am not Team Dylan or Team Nick. However, I think Dani needs to think this through carefully. She cannot place all the blame on Dylan. Her actions have shown her lack of commitment to the relationship as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with this comment! I feel as if she's really put the relationship with Dylan on the back burner whenever she's got a chance to see Nick.
      As a result, she's been confused and not on her best for her new relationship. On top of that, she's questioning everything all over again, although it's hard for her to admit, and seemingly forgetting that things with Nick weren't perfect either.
      I'm really interested in learning how this all plays out.
      www.poetsandheartbreakers.com

      Delete
  10. At least they didn't just have sex and bypass this whole conversation, but nothing was really accomplished. "I don't trust you with nick, I don't trust you with kara, lets talk about it later" - seems like too much drama and distrust for a 5 month relationship

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think either party is truly invested in the relationship. Dani needs to also take a hard look at her own actions in the relationship and what she truly wants. She can't continue to pin all of the downfalls on Dylan. I hope they make an amicable decision about their future soon.

    http://jocelynseverydayjourneys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah I really don't want them to split! Nick already hurt her and it's only been five months please let them work!!! Love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Team dylan please!! They're still so new and good! Love this blog btw ignore the haters!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that if either one of them was head over heels for the other, this conversation would have went a much different way. Your subtle hints about Nick make me think he is coming back into the picture, and as a Team Nick fan, I am excited! Even if you don't go with Nick, I think that Dani is over Dylan. It was fun while it lasted!

    sheerluckandpixiedust.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Team Nick Team Nick!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dani has to see that she's been in the wrong here, too. She hasn't been giving her all to Dylan, either. If she has no feelings, whatsoever, fine - move on, but there was so much written about sparks and electricity and I just wish we could see where it would go if they decided to reassess and really try things out...maybe it won't work forever, but she certainly hasn't been trying very hard.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really don't get the nick fans, not saying they need to be team Dylan but honestly we've barely heard him say anything I don't see how they need to be together other then how she feels attracted to him

    ReplyDelete
  18. After much consideration, having a complicated love life myself, I've decided I'm team no one. If Danielle is having conflicting feelings for her ex and she doesn't feel like she can trust Dylan even after he reassures her, neither is right for her. When that right person comes along, she'll know it and he will fit perfectly into her life and there will be no doubts on her end or his.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm team Dylan. It seems Nick only wants to act right now because she's with someone else. Loke others said he's never respected her relationship with Dylan. She should give her and Dylan a chance instead of always listening to Kara, who's getting what she wants-driving a wedge between Dani and Dylan.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am team Nick! I feel like it's easier for me to be team Nick because Dylan hasn't had a lot of character development, but maybe that's because he won't be in the picture as long. You do a great job writing! Thanks for sharing your talent!!

    ReplyDelete