Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Ruined

Ash and I decided to spend the July 4 weekend in a similar fashion as MDW - by staying in the city and taking advantage of the glorious emptiness of Manhattan. On top of that, we had officially decided to move in together (cheers!) so the Great Apartment Hunt of 2014 was in full swing. 

On Saturday night, we were splitting a margherita pizza and checking out dozens of potential apartments online. We had decided that pretty much all of Manhattan was game, since our budget was low and our offices spread pretty far apart. We had vetoed the idea of Hoboken or Brooklyn, agreeing that it was worth the extra rent to be in the city. 

"What about this two bedroom in the West Village?" Ash asked, tilting her iPad screen my way. I gave her a look at just the mention of West Village, but peeked anyway.

"Why is it so cheap?" I asked, noticing the monthly rent. It was priced more along the lines of Washington Heights than the ritzy area the address suggested. 

Ash shrugged, "I'll submit a request now to see it this week. It's available August 1st." 

I had emailed my landlord about possibly cutting my lease short, and she was borderline ecstatic at the suggestion. At first I was offended at how quickly she wanted me out, but it turned out that some guy had been slowly buying out the units in the building as they became available and she was itching to get mine off her hands. I did some snooping online and realized that two other studios in the building had sold for- get this - over $700k. If I were her, I'd take that money and run off to Spain. Sangria for everyone!

"Okay, and I just put in one for that place on 3rd," I replied, taking note in an excel sheet of all the places we had put in inquiries for. The market in NYC moved fast and I wanted to be sure we followed up with every one that we liked. 

I leaned back against the couch and shut my laptop, exhausted from comparing square footage for the past two hours. I glanced at the clock, it was only 9 p.m. "Want to go out?" I offered, we had basically been hermits since Thursday.

"Definitely," Ash nodded, clicking off her iPad. 

I stood up to examine my hair in the mirror, and decided that I could probably get away without a shower. 

"I think Keith is in town, he mentioned something to me about it last week. Should I text him?" I asked Ash. I had cancelled my Tuesday plans with Keith to meet at the wine bar that week, not anticipating how much work I would be buried in. When I apologized, he had made a vague remark about being around that weekend.

"Yes, especially since you blew him off on Tuesday," she answered, standing in front of the closet we now shared. In the last two months of her living with me, our closets had melded into one. Between the doubling of the closet, the reduced rent and the constantly stocked kitchen, I was starting to realize living with Ash had many perks. 

"I know, but we haven't spoken since then." I answered, staring at my phone. 

"All the more reason silly," Ashley answered, pulling out a flowy yellow top from the closet. 

I pulled Keith's name up on my phone and typed a short message.

Hey, if you're free tonight my roommate and I thinking of going out for a few drinks. 

I plugged the phone into its charger and headed into the tiny kitchen to retrieve wine. "White or red?" I asked Ash, as I heard my phone beep at the same time. 

"Either," Ashley replied, watching as I bolted over to my phone. I hadn't realized how much I wanted to see Keith until now. I saw his name lighting up the screen, and cautiously slid it across praying it was a good answer. 

I'm with a few guys down at Waterfront Ale House if you want to join. 

I showed Ash the message and she nodded. "Great place, we should go!" 

"Okay," I answered, responding to Keith that we would be there in an hour. 

As I closed out of the message to Keith, I saw Dylan's name a few slots down from our conversation the night before. We had texted back and forth every day since Wednesday and it was dangerous how much I was starting to like him. But I knew he was down in his Sea Isle house this weekend, probably hooking up with the girl that Laura had told us about. I clicked the phone off and tried to push him from my mind. 

"Should we be dressing patriotic?" I asked, handing Ash a full glass of white wine. 

"It's July 5th," Ashley said with a laugh. 

"I know, but we didn't go out last night!" I answered. We had instead chosen to stay in with a marathon of Orange is the New Black, being very un american. 

Ashley rolled her eyes, but conceded. The end result was muted, but definitely patriotic. I was sporting white shorts with a red crop top and blue flip flops, and Ash wore a red dress with a white belt. 

"Good enough," I said, examining our outfits in the mirror. 

We had no trouble finding a cab, and were at the bar by 10. 

"I don't see him," I said to Ash, scanning the surprisingly-crowded pub. 

"Is that them?" Ash replied, pointing to a booth near the back that was crowded with five guys. I shrugged, but headed in the direction. When we got to the table, Keith was all the way in the corner, engaged in conversation with one of the guys. I noticed Joshua among the group but no Haley in sight. 

"You made it!" Keith said, finally noticing our arrival. "Let's move to the bar so there's more room." 

I was relieved at his suggestion, not wanting to stand weirdly at the end of their booth the whole evening. The group of us moseyed over to an open spot at the bar, perching between a high top and some empty stools. Keith introduced me to some of his friends, slipping his arm territoriality around my waist as he did so. 

"I'm glad you came," he said once I had met all of his friends. He leaned down and gave me a long, lingering kiss. It felt nice, but I couldn't help but notice the absence of chills down my spine when he did this. Dylan had completely ruined kissing for me. Bastard. 

Ashley handed me a whiskey coke and I chatted with a few of Keith's friends for the next hour. Ash seemed uncharacteristically disinterested in the group of men, which surprised me. Now that she was single, she hooked up with less people than when she was basically betrothed. 

By one, the night was already winding down. Keith had kissed me a few more times but something inside of me knew it wasn't right. I wasn't sure if it had to do with Dylan or not, but the fact that I couldn't get him off my mind was telling me it was. 

"You want to come back with me?" Keith asked hopefully as we stood on the street saying our goodbyes. 

"I should really go back with her," I said, gesturing to where Ash was trying to hail a cab. 

Keith looked at me with a frustrated expression. "Are you into this or not?" he asked bluntly. I was taken back by the directness of the question.

"Keith, you're great. Really. I'm sorry I just have a lot on my plate right now I guess." I heard the answer come out of my mouth without even thinking and I could hardly meet his eyes. This was not how I expected the night to go.

"Well give me a call when your plate is less full" he said, looking dejected. He lead me over to where Ash had a cab waiting and held open the door for us. Giving me a kiss on the cheek, he shut the door. 

"I think I just broke up with Keith," I said to Ash.

"How can you break up with someone you'd only dated like, twice?" she said with a laugh.

I leaned back against the cab seat and let out a loud sigh. "Dylan has ruined me. I've been ruined by a guy I met once!" 

Ash rested her head on my shoulder "You'll see him again," she answered. "I'd put money on it." 


Back home after Ash had long since fallen asleep, I laid in bed wide awake reliving the night with Dylan for the 52nd time. Alcohol clouding my judgment, I pulled up his name on my phone.

You should really plan a trip up here... soon. 

I clicked the phone to silent and rolled over, closing my eyes and urging sleep to come. 


**Thanks for being patient with me last Friday! I hope everyone had a great weekend. Also, anyone else totally depressed that LSP is over?! Can we all order pizza and skype-cry together?** 



10 comments:

  1. Happy Dani's back! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh I can totally relate to Dani about being "ruined" by a guy you've only met once. Hopefully Dylan comes pay her a visit soon!

    And yessss!! So bummed LSP is over! Pizza sounds great, don't forget the wine! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally bummed about LSP being done with Josie! I wonder when Cosmo will start the new bedroom blog, in March they posted that they were doing a search for a new author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I actually applied to that too.. Haha. Haven't heard a peep though.

      Delete
  4. I've got my fingers crossed that Dylan will visit soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely also bummed about LSP being over but the end was perfect :) and I love your blog and always look forward to reading it so I appreciate you're still around haha!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked Dani and Dylan I can't wait to see what is to come!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I quiet enjoy your twos blog very much more the LSP.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So I've never commented on a blog before, but I wanted to chime in and let you know that I am thoroughly engaged in this one. When LSP ended on Tuesday I actually fished through the comments like a creep looking for a new blog to get into and viola. So now here we are 2 days later and I'm all caught up haha. I can't imagine how much time and energy goes into writing these posts, and I wanted to thank you for giving us all some entertainment. I'm sad to be caught up, but look forward to checking back tomorrow for the latest installment! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh, sooo depressed over LSP ending. But this one is my next fave for sure!! <3
    I just read the Elizabeth entry, I really liked it...

    ReplyDelete