Friday, June 13, 2014

The First Kiss

On Wednesday after work, I stopped home just long enough to reapply some makeup and switch to more casual clothes before meeting Keith. It had been another long day of Elena giving me the cold shoulder, and I knew that if she kept acting this way sooner or later I was going to snap. Jeff was the one she should be mad at, but instead she was parading around the office with him and ignoring me. 

I tossed my eyelash curler back in my makeup bag and was heading out the door as Ash was coming in. "Hey!" I said excitedly. "I'm just heading out."

"Okay," she answered solemnly. 

"You okay?" I asked, hand hesitating on the door knob. 

"Just a shitty day at work," she shrugged, dropping onto the couch. "Followed up by finding out Steve already has a new girlfriend."

"What?!" I nearly screamed. It seemed impossible - it had only been a few weeks, plus he was head over heels for Ash their whole relationship. I couldn't imagine him moving on so quickly. 

"Well, I don't know if they're official, but she's all over his Facebook." As she spoke, I could see her scrolling through her phone to show me. I walked over to the couch and took the phone. On the screen was Steve's Facebook page, with photos of him and some blonde covering his whole wall. On a blanket at central park, at a club, on a roof top. She was pretty, but not as pretty as Ashley.

"Do you know her?" I asked, handing the phone back.

"She looks familiar, I think he might work with her. All of our mutual friends are his coworkers." 

"I'm sorry Ash.." I started, tapering off once I realized I had no idea what to say. She was, afterall, the one who had ended it.

"It's okay," she said, taking a deep breath. "Where are you off to anyway?"

"Meeting Keith.." I started, feeling guilty. "Want to come?"

"No," she shook her head. "I want to wallow. Or download Tinder," she cracked a small smile.

"Oh geez," I said, giving her a kiss on the cheek. "I'll be back soon."

As I walked towards the bar where I was meeting Keith, I felt a pang in my stomach for my best friend. I hated that she was going through this, but reasoned that soon she would find someone new. She always did.

When I got to the bar, Keith was already posted up on a tall table outside. I walked over to give him an awkward half hug before sitting down.

"You look great," he said with a genuine smile. 

"Thanks, so do you," I said. He was so handsome, with dark brown hair that fell in a carefully messy way, and brown eyes framed by long lashes. I was definitely attracted to him, and I hoped he was as well.

"How's your week been so far?" he asked after the waiter came over to take our orders. 

"It's been.. okay," I started. 

"Only okay?" he smiled.

"Just a lot of friend drama going on right now," I said with an accompanied eye roll.

"Tell me about it," he said.

"You really want to know?" I asked, surprised.

"Yeah, I'd like to know more about your friends." 

"You asked for it," I said with a laugh as the waiter returned with our drinks. I took a sip of my jack and coke before beginning the long, sordid tale of Ash and Steve. Followed by the drama-filled tale of Elena and Jeff. By the end, Keith looked exhausted just trying to keep the timelines straight.

"So that's everything," I said with a nervous laugh.

He let out a long whistle. "Well, at least you're a good friend, they both seem like they need that right now." 

"Thanks," I said. "But who knows what will happen with either of them at the moment. What about you?" I asked. "Any recently dumped friends you're putting up in your place I can set Ash up with?"

He laughed, "Unfortunately, no. Just Josh who seems blissfully in love with Haley."

"Oh man don't I know it," I started. "I went to drinks with her last week and she spent most of the time talking about him. It's sweet though, I've never seen her like that with a guy."

"Yeah, she's a great girl," he said. "A little loud though..." 

"Oh god you don't mean..?" I said, stifling a laugh.

He nodded. "Things I never wish I had heard." 

We were both laughing so hard I had to wipe away a few tears. I could just picture him, head buried under the pillow.

After another hour I told him I should be getting back to Ashley. I had texted her twice to no response and it was starting to worry me. Also, the chemistry between Keith and I was definitely there and I was eager to see if he would actually kiss me this time. 

As we stepped out onto the sidewalk, he grabbed my hand. "I'll walk you home," he said. I grinned from ear to ear at his gesture. We filled the five block walk to my apartment with more conversation. When we stopped outside my building, I felt emboldened by the whiskey and his nearness. I took a step closer to him and wrapped my arms around his waist, hearing Haley's voice in my head telling me to make the first move. I also, however, heard another voice in my head firmly reminding me that not 24 hours ago I was kissing Nick.

"Thanks for the drinks," I said, tilting my head up towards him. He had a good six inches on me.

"Thanks for the invite," he said softly, sexily. I moved my hand up from his waist and wrapped it around his neck, pulling him into me as I stood on my tiptoes. His mouth landed on mine and we were - finally - having our first kiss. After a few seconds he pulled away and I wasn't sure if it was the heat or the kiss, but I was practically panting. 

"Goodnight, Dani," he said, walking backwards and releasing my hands. He bit his lip as he looked back at me once more before turning around. 

Feeling giddy I practically sprinted up the stairs, eager to tell Ash. When I got inside my apartment though she was no where to be found. I was about to get out my phone to call her when I saw a note scribbled on the back of a recipet sitting on the kitchen counter.

Went to Steve's to talk - don't wait up. xo A

"Oh no," I said aloud. This was not good. 

11 comments:

  1. Chris - @nylonlover69 on TwitterJune 13, 2014 at 9:29 AM

    Uh oh.

    FINALLY some heat with Keith! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh Ashleyyy what are you doing?? This is going to be a fiasco!! I really hope she finds a new guy soon!

    Also, I love Keith, I hope it works out with them!!!

    Very good writing, I also laughed out loud at the part where Ash says she'll download Tinder.


    www.ofpoetsandheartbreakers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was SUCH a good post!!! Hahaha I laughed at the Tinder thing too.

    Dakota

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post but dani and Keith have already kissed in the all the single ladies post from a few weeks ago?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought they kissed the night they met? Great post though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they have! Maybe I should have clarified that I count first real kiss as a sober kiss :) sloppy drunk doesn't count in my book!

      Delete
  6. Great post, can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ASH?! Really! Ugh! Moving on! GET IT DANI! Keith seems adorable, and like a total gentleman!

    http://kathleentries.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well at least she kissed Keith.. But I think she needs to figure out if she wants to something with Nick first before getting so serious with Keith but we will see!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to read more
    Check out my new blog
    http://lifelovelacoste.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete