Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Hard being Easy

I decided to take Haley's advice and come on a little stronger with Keith. I wasn't sure what his deal was, but he seemed like a great guy and I didn't want to just give up on him - no matter how many times he wanted to spoon instead of fork. So on Wednesday I gathered up the courage to send him a text.

Hey, want to grab drinks tomorrow night?

I clicked the phone to black and set it face-down on my desk. I had just started to sort through my emails when one came in from Elena, asking if I had the updated content calendar for social media. I looked up to where she was sitting at her desk, face buried in her phone. Unless we were exorbitantly busy we almost always walked the ten feet to ask other things, because it then allowed for extra minutes of chatting. I sighed loudly, it had been two days and this was the only communication we had exchanged. I opened a gchat to her and started typing away furiously.

Me: The cal is updated where it always is, could you not find it?
Elena: Got it now. Thanks.
Me: Are you mad at me or something?
Elena: Not at all, just super busy.
Me: Okay.. want to grab lunch later?
Elena: I actually have plans with Jeff, but thanks.

My jaw literally dropped when I read her response. Plans with Jeff? Three days ago he was mounting an intern in this very room. The vibration of my phone interrupted the elaborate scheme I was starting to concoct that involved somehow poisoning Jeff. I recalled him announcing an allergy to shellfish a few months back... 

I'd love to, just tell me when and where

I smiled at Keith's answer; short, sweet, easy. No games. I sent him a time and place, relieved to have something to focus on besides Elena and Jeff. 

I worked straight through lunch, determined to keep my mind busy. I saw Elena and Jeff head out together around one and they didn't return until almost 3. I scanned Elena for any sign of a hookup - slightly mussed hair, skewed skirt - but she looked completely put together. When she walked back in she gave me an awkward wave but didn't come over to talk like she normally would have. I felt a heavy weight on my shoulders at the tension that now existed between us. Maybe I never should have mentioned what I had seen.

When I was walking out of work later that night, I heard someone call my name on the street. I craned my neck around but the post-work crowd on the street was too tough to navigate from my short vantage point. I shrugged it off, assuming it was directed at one of the other 3.4 billion Danielles in the world. I continued heading West, distracted by the blister forming on my right heel. I really needed to chill with the four-inch heels during work hours, when I spent a large majority of my time running between departments. I was going to form a bunion by age 27.

"Dani!" I heard it again, distinctly closer this time. I turned around and nearly ran smack into Nick.

"Woah!" I said, taking a step backwards. He had been heading towards me at an alarming pace. "Where's the fire?" 

"Just trying to catch up to you," he said with a charming smile. The humid 80 degree weather did not help the fire that I felt in my face at seeing him.

"What are you doing up here?" I said, trying to sound as friendly as possible.

"I was nearby for a meeting, and thought I'd swing by your work to say hello. But then I saw you walking out," he said, starting to walk the way I had been heading. I jumped in stride with him.

"Oh."

"Wanna grab a bite?" he asked confidently. 

"Sure," I replied. I had no other plans but to go home and veg out on the couch with Ash. 

"Great," he grinned over at me, lazily dangling his arm across my shoulders. "So, you never answered where you were the night I so zealously drunk texted you." 

I gave out a small snort. "You never asked."

"I'm asking now," he replied with a serious tone.

"I was with Haley," I said. I wasn't going to offer him any more of an explanation than that. 

He peered at me suspiciously, but thankfully dropped the subject. We stepped into a pub close to my apartment and snagged an outdoor table. We both ordered burgers and settled into our familiar banter, catching up on each others' lives. 

"You clearly aren't worried about bikini season," he joked as I poached some of his fries after devouring my own. 

"I missed lunch today," I answered between mouthfuls. 

"Busy at work?" 

"Yeah, but mostly was avoiding Elena," I shrugged, then caught him up to speed on the Elena/Jeff situation.

"I don't know Elena well, but that sounds a little harsh," he said after I had recounted the series of events.

"I know," I agreed. "I'm so confused now, but I guess I'll just let it play out."

"Sounds like all you can really do for now," he said. He declined my offer to split the meal and we stood up to head home. It felt just as comfortable as it used to be, but I was acutely aware that had it been six months ago, we wouldn't be heading to separate apartments right now.

"Thanks for dinner," I said as we stood by the subway stop that would take him downtown.

"It was nice," he replied, stepping in closer to me. My heart and stomach twisted into one large knot as a lump formed in my throat. The tension between us felt tangible and I bit my lip, staring up at him.

He closed the remaining foot of space between us, wrapping his arm around my lower back. I let him. Tilting my head up I finally felt our lips meet and the twists in my stomach released, bursting with fire throughout my whole body. I gripped him closer and heard him moan into my mouth. 

Pulling away I smiled sheepishly. "I wanted to do that all night."

He seemed shocked by my remark, "I wanted to do that for weeks."

I gave him one final kiss on the cheek and started towards my building. When I turned around, I could see the top of his head descending into the subway. I shook my head, but didn't feel the usual guilt at giving into Nick. Maybe we weren't as done as I had thought.



7 comments:

  1. Awww this is such a good post:). Between work and ex's and trying to date new people, we sometimes have days like this. It's a perfect snapshot of our generation's love complications.

    I loved how you wrote the scene with them finally kissing and her body tightening/loosening up, followed with a simple kiss.

    I can't wait to read about Keith!


    http://poetsandheartbreakers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm amazed at how much I look forward to these posts! I really hope you were one of the applicants for the Cosmo fiction blog, you have some great material!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was actually :) but they still haven't announced a winner, so who knows. I read LSP religiously haha.

      Delete
  3. Yes, it seems dani is in a good juggling spot! Decisions, decisions!
    Good luck w Cosmo !!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the whole blog over the last two days, love it!!! - Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well she needs to figure it out with Nick before she sleeps with Keith.. I like Nick I can't wait to see what happens

    ReplyDelete