Wednesday, December 31, 2014

One Month Later...

I sat on the couch, flipping between one bad reality TV show and the next. Glancing at my ever-silent phone, I saw that it was barely 9 p.m. With Ash gone for two weeks on vacation with her fam, (#Eurotrip), the lull between Christmas and NYE was painfully lonely. The bursting Christmas cheer that practically spilled out of every edge of NYC for the past month was slowly tapering off, and the city had never felt lonelier.

I reached for my phone again and scrolled mindlessly through Instagram, reaching for the glass of wine that had sat half-drank next to me for the past hour. I was bored. Since Dylan and I had broken up I’d felt restless, and that combined with the chaos at work had left me feeling unsettled for weeks.

Being home for Christmas hadn’t been the welcome distraction that I’d been hoping for. The whole four days I was in Philly I was painfully aware of how easily I could hop in my car and see Dylan. Even though the breakup had been mostly mutual, I knew that seeing him would be a bad idea.

I pulled up our string of texts in my phone to re-read them, something that I had done all too frequently these days. Our last exchange was Christmas morning, a simple “Merry Christmas” that he had instigated. Before I'd boarded my train down to Philly on the 24th, he'd asked to see me while I was home. I had made up excuses about a schedule jammed with family dinners and reunions with old friends, trying to keep my distance. I had felt it in my bones after Thanksgiving that as much as I liked Dylan, we just weren't meant to be. The relationship had become defined by more troubles than triumphs. So after a long afternoon, we'd ended it and I hadn't seen him since. Which hadn't stopped him from trying to win me back, albeit fairly pathetically, but his attempts had tapered off as the weeks wore on. So now here I was, single again, temporarily roommate-less, possibly soon-to-be jobless and currently, a little bit drunk. #winning.

Luckily since the holidays were upon us, things had settled down a bit at work. We hadn't heard much talk about the possible layoffs, but everyone had been working their asses off to prove that they were worth keeping. A few people even cancelled long-awaited vacations, not wanting anything to happen while their backs were turned.

As for Gathr, they had thanked me for the interview but hadn't asked me back in. When I asked Jeff about it, he informed me that they had stopped the interviewing process all together, apparently wanting a firm job description in place to properly assess candidates. He told me to sit tight until the new year, but with everything else going on I wasn't as consumed by the rejection as I would have normally been.

As I got up from the couch to fetch a vino refill, my phone pinged with a text. Glancing over, I saw that it was Nick. Ever since Dylan and I had broken up, Nick and I had been texting more frequently. Although I hadn't actually told him I was single, I had a feeling he knew. And even though he hadn't mentioned it, I had seen plenty of photos online of him and one of his "costars", Hadley, all alluding to the fact that they were a bonafide couple.

Hey you - any plans for NYE?

I pondered how to respond. A while back, Dylan and I had purchased tickets to a NYE party in Philly. Since that clearly wasn't happening, I hadn't made any efforts to plan something else. And without Ash to force me out of the house, I had fully planned on staying in and wallowing in my loneliness. I know, I'm becoming more like Bridget Jones, pre-Mark Darcy, every minute.

Actually was planning a low-key night, you?

I replied, keeping an eye on his text bubbles as I refilled my wine.

Low key huh? Well we're having a party at my place, and I'd love it if you could come.

I chewed on my lip, tempted. It would be better than sitting here alone watching sadly as the ball dropped on TV, envisioning my inevitable cat-lady life that laid before me. However then he would definitely know that Dylan and I had broken up.

As I was still debating the pros and cons, another text popped up.

Please?

I sighed.

Okay, I guess I could swing by. I may bring Elena, if that is okay?

I remembered Elena saying that she had no plans for New Years either, and had planned to hang in with her roommate who had recently been dumped. I figured it couldn't be too hard to wrangle her into my plans.

Awesome, starts at 8.

I padded back over to the couch, sending a screen-grab of the conversation to Ash's email. Stupid texting wasn't working while she was traipsing over Europe. I knew she'd want me to be on Trevor duty on NYE, to make sure he wasn't kissing anyone else at midnight.

I sighed, sinking back into the couch. It seemed like I was starting 2015 off the same way I had began 2014... single, unsure, and still in a gray area with Nick. I really needed to branch out.

**I won't be posting Friday, but I'm definitely going to try to get back to at least once a week as the New Year starts! However it won't be my normal Weds/Fri schedule, but I'll be tweeting out the day before a post goes up so make sure to follow me there! (@Trag20Something). With this new job a lot has changed, so writing time isn't as abundant. But I haven't forgotten you and I still have so much planned for Dani in 2015. Have an INCREDIBLE and safe New Year's everyone! Make sure to lay one on someone special at midnight. xoxo**



23 comments:

  1. I've missed this blog, but didn't realize just how much I missed it until this post! Good to have you back! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed this blog too, Dani is one of my favorite fictional girls. I think the break with Dylan was for the best, and probably inevitable.

    http://sluttyisthenewblack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the update. I'm a little bummed about Dani and Dylan, but it was expected. Hope she gets a cool new guy in 2015! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why is your profile picture a copy of the authors?

      Delete
  4. So happy to hear an update & all about Dani again! Your blog is easily one of my top 5, and I'm even more intrigued about NYE with Nick!

    Happy new year!

    Sheerluckandpixiedust.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to hear you are doing good! Sad Dani feels lonely and wants to maybe go back to Nick, but happy she was able to end something she knew was not good for her anymore

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dani was the reason they weren't working she was constantly doubting Dylan and thinking too much about nick. I hope she doesn't end up with nick I don't think his character is very good considering he seemed to only want her when she was taken, he also seems like he wants her in arms reach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your comments. Dani had trust issues with Dylan, but they were CREATED in large part by her relationship with Nick. He dumped her to experience NYC. She gets back with him and what's to stop him from dumping her again to experience his new found fame? Dani has emotional baggage and definitely helped her pack the suitcases. Add to that Dylan was WAY tolerant with her hanging out with Nick--uncomfortable, but he let her do her own thing. She freaked about Kara, but her double standard was ridiculous. She actively sought Nick out to spend time with him. And despite the reality TV glam makeover, Nick is just not as appealing as Dylan. The writing about their relationship was HOT. I hope we have not seen the last of Dylan and I wish that the relationship could occur on a level playing field with Dani and Dylan in the same city without persistent exes clawing at them. I know the polls are closed, but I am team Dylan all the way and I am baffled as to why the general crowd favored Nick over Dylan. Nick has been fickle fickle fickle!

      Delete
    2. I completely agree, I was shocked to see so many nick supporters. I don't think he has done or said (barely any words written with something he has said ) anything that makes me think he is romantic or wants Dani and is a good guy. He has barely shown a personality, only seem Dani and her constant back and forth attitude

      Delete
  7. Ahh, you're back! Guess it couldn't be avoided with Dylan, they had such chemistry at the start but it definitely faded. So excited to see what's in store for Dani this year :)

    http://diaryofabritishscot.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. I say #TeamNewYearNewMan should be officially started! Nick and Dylan have their pros and cons but neither seem to really be 'right' for Dani. Even the guy that walked her from her interview had that girl at the end shooting her the eye. On to bigger and better things (or men) with no baggage!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your blog and understand you are busy but wish you would post more! Story is hard to Stay interested in when there is a post once every 2 weeks :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I will stick to blogs who update!!

      Delete
    2. Hey there! See my comment below for more deets.

      Delete
  10. For a while I thought the blog is dead.. until I saw the ** at the end.. but, still hard to think that it's not. Hopefully to see a post soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will! See my comment below for more info. Thanks for hanging in there!

      Delete
  11. Hey there. I completely agree with you - I've been frustrated as hell when my favorite blogs start to drop off. But believe me when I say I have no intentions of doing so! I'm hoping to return to normal very soon, so bear with me :) New job + holidays + life changes has made for a hectic life. (So hectic that I haven't even been able to read the blogs I used to - I'm so behind! No one give away what's going on over on LSP..) I can't write during the mornings like I used to, so it's just a matter of me organizing myself to carve out the time to write. I promise you haven't seen the last of Dani!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're awesome!

      That is all lol

      Delete
  12. Post soon? I'm missing you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just started your blog today. Actually I started it 5 hours ago... I gave up some much needed sleep since I honestly couldn't put my phone down. You're writing style is amazing. Your characters are easy to love. And best of all you seem to be a consistent and loyal author.
    I am outraged that Dyl & Gabi didn't work. Nick is only hot stuff again because of his TV deal. He wants what he can't have and Dani was it. If he had put 1/2 as much effort into their original relationship as he had put into chasing her when she was unavailable maybe theyd of worked out at first. But instead he added to her madness and her trust issues. Dylan deserved a lot more trust from her and a lot more respect as well. But it does take 2 to tango. I hope he isn't gone from the story for long. Please hurry back! I'm anxious to read more!
    .xo Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love to hear from new readers!! I'm hurrying back as fast as I can :) Check back tonight or tomorrow for the NYE post.

      Delete
  14. Will there ever be a post again? You said there would be and that was already been 9 days. I check back every day hoping the hiatus is done, but to no avail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will! I have one almost finished.. It will be up this weekend. I'm hesitant to tell you guys a posting schedule because I don't have one yet, but I'm going to try to commit to Wednesdays again. I understand if you grow tired of the long time between posts - I wouldn't blame you if you gave up on Dani! It's been a hectic few months.

      Delete